Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Peak Greed" called by Scot, Bill Blain

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Greed is a deadly sin. And when greed is built into the culture, it's like a cancer on our whole society.

"Greed is the inventor of injustice as well as the current enforcer." - Julian Casablancas

I don't play the lottery because I feel I've already won it in my life and I don't want to tempt fate. When I see greed addicting thousands to opioids so Big Pharma can score, I'm not envious--I'm angry. When I see greed convincing people that smoking is healthy so that it can make a lot of money, I'm not jealous--I'm angry. When I see greed killing people in wars started for nothing but oil, I'm not jealous--I'm angry. When I see payday lenders exploiting the poor, I'm not jealous, I'm angry.

Stop giving greed a free pass. The days of Gordon Gecko are over, and greed is not good.
    Giving greed a free pass? No. But envy makes that same list of seven, for those of us still giving credence to the quaint concept of sin. My read of history is that the harm done by people who tell us they’re attacking “greed” generally exceeds anything beneficial they accomplish.

I’ll take the occasional consumer fraud and overpriced stock markets over handing more power to wannabe saviors.

The idea that we peons are marinating in envy is ridiculous; it's just another dumb Republican talking point. Most of us have far more important issues to concern ourselves with. Like how we're going to pay outrageous medical bills, or our rent, or whether our children will be able to get an education necessary to keep their heads above water.

Sins? The titular head of our republic is a gold medalist sinner. He's proudly and publicly committed each and every one of the seven deadly sins, and continues to do so. And 90% of Republicans support him wholeheartedly--some even hailing him as God's own emissary--because he caters to them and their unending greed and hypocrisy.

Yes, I think we've reached peak greed, and I hope the electorate overcomes its torpor and throws out every office holder who supports it. I'd like to think that's still possible; we have a big job ahead of us.

From what I have experienced and even seen in individuals I know, the "greed" and "envy" actually stem from the same individuals. People I know who "have" seem to be envious of those they perceive as having "more", and hence they, too, want even more. Definitely a case of their envy driving their greed.

And I'm not saying this is always the case, just that I have seen it.
    Last edited by happystuff; 5-7-19 at 7:18am.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information