Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What are you most judgey about?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think that was our girl Dorothy Parker.
    Yeah, has to be Dorothy Parker. In fact, I looked it up and it is:

Dorothy Parker.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

People who can’t be bothered to show up for stuff on time, especially to church. Several families always show up late to church at the exact same time in the service. We choir folk are up front and face the congregation so we see everything. One family always comes in thundering like a herd of elephants and the kids are all older. The dad was once going at me about something and I just plain out asked him if his employer would care if he came to work as late as his family always came to church (30 min into a 90 min service). He was confused with the question.

Some people get to church late because they don’t one part of the service - so they skip it and take in the rest. I knew several people who routinely made that choice when they didn’t like the music but enjoyed the sermon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I knew several people who routinely made that choice when they didn’t like the music but enjoyed the sermon.
    How can people prefer the sermon over church music?? The best thing that happened when I went from going to Catholic churches to Protestant ones was that I could sing really loudly because everyone else was singing really loudly! Catholics don't sing--they kind of mumble along to the choir.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    How can people prefer the sermon over church music?? The best thing that happened when I went from going to Catholic churches to Protestant ones was that I could sing really loudly because everyone else was singin.
    People who dont like singing would prefer talkie talk over singie sing. Ask me how I know.

Plodding hymns are not my jam, and they all sound alike, very few have truly hummable melodies. Of course the quality and selection of choir music varies widely, but in our small town, church hymns were dull things.

I prefer instrumental pieces.. The one time in my life Where I went to church voluntarily three times in one week was when we were staying in York, England. We went to the Minster several times that week because they had a great boys choir and of course hearing that music in the environment of a European medieval cathedral was fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Laziness, bigotry, being a busybody, tattling, bullying, drama, smoking, poor grammar and spelling when English is your first language.
    I try not to be judgmental about grammar and spelling but I cringed this morning as a distant cousin posted pictures on facebook of her trip to a castle in Germany. She talked of mid evil times and displays of torcher equipment.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I try not to be judgmental about grammar and spelling but I cringed this morning as a distant cousin posted pictures on facebook of her trip to a castle in Germany. She talked of mid evil times and displays of torcher equipment.
    Yeah, I tend to be one of those annoying judgey grammarians sometimes, but I try not to be these days since my spelling has gotten worse and my writing habits sloppier as I get older---so I don't want to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. But I have my pet peeves like when people use "less/fewer" incorrectly. These days there are so many more grammatical faux pas since people are so quick to post things. Even fairly reputable sources come out with real zingers sometimes.

I have to admit, "mid evil times" and "torcher equipment" is pretty funny.

I have noticed that auto correct is frequently changing my words after I type and I don’t always catch it until I post. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have noticed that auto correct is frequently changing my words after I type and I don’t always catch it until I post. Very annoying.
    Must agree with this. I look at what is sent and cannot believe what autocorrect had substituted when I don't use the US spelling or if I had hesitated a little about the spelling. The recipients must have looked at and gone"Huh?" and then said "Autocorrect again". I am fussy with my spelling.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Sometimes I wonder, when seeing mistakes like you're all mentioning, whether the misspeller is using a voice-to-text app. I've used it a few times and get pretty funny results.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information