Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May Purge

I am attending out-of-town flower show training, and I took about 25 iris rhizomes - nice ones not crap – to give away and I rid myself of all of them.

I put a notice out on Nextdoor to my neighborhood and three nearby neighborhoods to go and dig the iris left in my spare garden. There are hundreds of them. A few are in bloom, most are not.

We are going to start mowing that lot next month So I want to see all the iris out of there. I suppose I can open it up to craigslist, I’ve done that before, but I am afraid what the unleashed hordes will leave.. I am trying to get a notice out to my Iris Society but my email program won’t push an email out to everyone so that is too bad. This week in his prime time to dig.

2 more bags to the thrift store today.

Yppej
    Weeds.

My seasonal closet clean-out has yielded 14 items to go out. I've brought 16 items of clothing into the house this year, so I'm challenging myself to tip that balance and have more items out than in.

We got a dumpster. There will be some serious purging going on.

In the Purge Obstructionist Department, we have hit roadblocks by our kids who hear of something we're getting rid of and then the pleas begin:

"You might want to find out what the antique Chinese filing cabinet is really worth."
    "You are selling Aunt F's antique Chippendale dresser to a furniture restoration guy in Brooklyn for $75?? I'll take it and put it n the baby's room!"
    "I want your Marine uniform, Dad!"
    "I want Uncle I's 70s turntable!"
    "I want Grandma's 1960's kitchen set"
    "Don't throw out that painting my grandfather painted, Mom!"
    "You didn't sell [X,Y,Z] at the garage sale, did you??"
    "You're NOT going to sell the Led Zeppelin vinyls are you??"

But we are really looking forward to taking advantage of that dumpster anyway.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh Catherine, that does sound challenging! You'll have to be very firm about making them take possession of the things they want!

Yay for the dumpster catherine. Your kids don’t get to tell you what you cannot throw out. They can drive to your house to pick up stuff pronto, otherwise it goes to dumpster land.

When we downsized I offered things to my kids but they had to go. For one son I mailed him some small items. He couldn’t afford to have a few furniture pieces shipped so I sold them. My local kids had to take it quickly. You need to be totally no nonsense about this. Be brutal

Yppej
    Cleaned out part of a folder while sitting on hold. I think I should do this every time I'm on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Cleaned out part of a folder while sitting on hold. I think I should do this every time I'm on hold.
    Great idea. Anything productive you can do while on hold is a win!

Thread Information