Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May Purge

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We got a dumpster. There will be some serious purging going on.

In the Purge Obstructionist Department, we have hit roadblocks by our kids who hear of something we're getting rid of and then the pleas begin:

"You might want to find out what the antique Chinese filing cabinet is really worth."
    "You are selling Aunt F's antique Chippendale dresser to a furniture restoration guy in Brooklyn for $75?? I'll take it and put it n the baby's room!"
    "I want your Marine uniform, Dad!"
    "I want Uncle I's 70s turntable!"
    "I want Grandma's 1960's kitchen set"
    "Don't throw out that painting my grandfather painted, Mom!"
    "You didn't sell [X,Y,Z] at the garage sale, did you??"
    "You're NOT going to sell the Led Zeppelin vinyls are you??"

But we are really looking forward to taking advantage of that dumpster anyway.
    My response: FANTASTIC! Pick it up this weekend or out it goes

5 more shirts out the door. Sister helped me review some of the things I was on the fence about, and she was very helpful.

Went through my jewelry - got rid of two bags of stuff that I don't really care for anymore. Have decided to enjoy quality pieces and let the cheaper costume stuff go. DH and DS had to move two bookshelves out of our family room downstairs earlier this month due to storms flooding the room. The books are upstairs on the living room floor. I want DH and I to go through them (yet again) and declutter. Easier for me than for DH.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Went through my jewelry - got rid of two bags of stuff that I don't really care for anymore. Have decided to enjoy quality pieces and let the cheaper costume stuff go. DH and DS had to move two bookshelves out of our family room downstairs earlier this month due to storms flooding the room. The books are upstairs on the living room floor. I want DH and I to go through them (yet again) and declutter. Easier for me than for DH.
    I'm sorry to hear about your flooding. That couldn't have been very pleasant.

We've decided to pull the trigger and spend the $$$ to put in French drains and a sump pump. Which means replacing the flooring (which has been on the radar, but now it's sooner rather than later) and replace the paneling and insulation with new drywall. The flooding wasn't bad (only soaked the carpet except for an inch or so in one corner), but just a big, expensive PITA. I'm done.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    We've decided to pull the trigger and spend the $$$ to put in French drains and a sump pump. Which means replacing the flooring (which has been on the radar, but now it's sooner rather than later) and replace the paneling and insulation with new drywall. The flooding wasn't bad (only soaked the carpet except for an inch or so in one corner), but just a big, expensive PITA. I'm done.
    Oh, boy. I can relate. Our neighborhood has a high water table. We were in the house for a few months when we had a very heavy rain storm, and we got water in the basement knee-deep--we had stored a lot of stuff down that and most of it was ruined. So I asked my neighbor if her stuff was ruined, too, and she said, "don't you have a sump pump?" She has the same model of house I do, and I didn't even realize that I had a French drain and sump pump. I didn't have it turned on.

We have used that pump several times over the years when heavy rains come. I think you are making a good investment, beckyliz.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information