Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 1/2 week thread, beltain to solstice

6 1/2 week thread, beltain to solstice

Here we go again

I’ve been reading a book called “the renaissance soul” which really speaks to me and my life of always having too many irons in the fire and too many interests, and too many goals, and feeling pulled in a million directions. The author even beautifully articulated my resentment of the need to sleep.

so, for this cross quarter, i’m Planning to work out a time management/organization system using her book. Under that I get four or five primary focus areas, which can change.

my current focus areas are school (work), pottery, health, and farm. Farm is a bit of what she calls an “umbrella” focus, so I am further subdividing it into plants and animals, making five. She also has a bubble system, which allows for more focus areas, but fewer primary ones, so that, for example, once classes let out, school will be a smaller bubble.

this week’s work goals are: show up to teach, lesson plans, fire the kiln, stations for Friday, hippos, grading, and begin evaluations.
    this week’s pottery goals are: pick up my work from the class I took and buy some glaze (which is also work) and hippos (which are also work.)
    this week’s health goals are: cook one dinner, get to bed before 10:00 every night but Saturday, do yoga at least twice, and swim two nights - hopefully 2 miles each time, but getting there is most important.
    this week’s farm goals are: make cheese (which I cheated because I did already), make ice cream, clean stalls *setting up a kidding stall asap*, patch fence, and plant things.

Yppej
    Finish my transition to the new job and start to pick up speed there so my coworker is able to go on vacation without me going bonkers. Adapt my wardrobe as needed to the new job. A coworker did give me a farewell gift certificate which should do the trick.

Plant the garden which I did not get to. I will get some dill plants from my mom to replace the arugula and Swiss chard that never came up or were eaten by the rabbits in the yard.

Take my car for its 90K checkup and deal with any issues that are discovered.

Get the final third of the roof replaced.

Go on a few day trips on the weekends. DS is moody lately and my BFF says it is too cold, but hopefully when warmer weather comes people are in better moods. I am pretty sure one of the guys at the new office likes me, but I do not want to go out with a coworker.

Finish spring yard waste pickup and start weeding the entire yard. All the rain has things growing like crazy.

CL, that book sounds perfect for you. That’s funny about you resenting sleep. My husband made great progress on our yard yesterday. I have not progressed pp towards my cleaning goal because I recently got a lot of contract work and we have been going to some free classes and doing a lot of social stuff. Things will slow down and I will get back to it.

I would like to join in this round. I am hoping to complete or make good progress on the following by summer solstice:
    Set up new arbor
    Finish cleaning up, shredding and spreading leaves as mulch
    Stain items made in carpentry class: outdoor chairs (2 coats), bookcase (2 coats), second coat on benches. There are more items in the pipeline, but they aren't built yet, so they will be part of a future agenda. I might not get all of this done, but will be OK with substantial progress.
    Misc garden items: prune dogwood, corylopsis, viburnum and hollies; plant grass seed, spread critter repellent around porch and shed, plant annuals in containers
    Apply for passports
    Plan fall vacation
    Seasonal closet clean-out
    That should keep me busy for a bit!

Rosarugosa, that is a lot!

Yppej, you either have a very generous coworker or your wardrobe doesn’t need much adapting! I hope the new job makes you happier!

yesterday I made ice cream, cleaned stalls, decided the kidding stall will do for now (if she hasn’t kidded by Saturday I will probably clean out a new one, otherwise I will clean hers post kidding), patched the fence, did yoga, cooked dinner, and got to bed on time.

today, more ice cream, lesson plans, buy glaze and pick up my work if it’s done, unload the kiln, teach, swim, and maybe some planting.

dh made plans for us that will have me up late on Friday as well as Saturday.

It sounds like you had a productive day, CL!
    I am retired, so I feel like I should be able to get a lot done. Helping Mom and daily dog-walking do eat up a fair bit of my time, though. I did get the viburnum and corylopsis pruned. It seems like this is the first time this year that weather & circumstances have permitted me to spend time in the garden 2 days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    . I am pretty sure one of the guys at the new office likes me, but I do not want to go out with a coworker.

Yeah. I said that too--until I found myself playing footsie with one during a long, boring meeting...

Yppej
    CL do you make the ice cream with goat milk?

Yes on the goat milk ice cream. I’m allergic to cow milk. This time of year I have extra goat milk and it’s higher in fat early in lactation, so I try to pack a bunch of ice cream away in my freezer.

I did all my today things, but still have more planting and lesson plans to do.

dh was my coworker when we met. Depending on my assignment, he was sometimes my supervisor. My dil was my son’s actual boss when they met.

Yppej
    I finished raking the leaves and started weeding, but there is possible frost this coming week so I have not planted anything yet.

At the new job I have gotten fast enough I've had time to get my work station set up, transfer over programs, etc. For two more weeks I still have to go to the old location part of the time.

Tomorrow I have a day trip planned with my mom.

It is too early for the car checkup and the roofer has a backlog of work due to the rain.

Thread Information