Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year five of the elephant

Year five of the elephant

Yes, for those of you who remember the “eating the elephant” saga, we are now on year five of the “elephant” (house addition). it technically started in February, but little has been happening. However, we just finished paying someone to install wood flooring (out of regular cash flow) because dh decided he just wasn’t going to have the time it would take for him to do it. It looks really nice, and I am glad to be done with subfloor.

dh is now installing baseboards and trim. Then he has to rebuild the hearth for the wood stove (the temporary hearth was removed to allow the flooring to go in) and reinstall the stove. Then the room will be done.

taking, not at all to my surprise, closer to five years than the “two” predicted.

To be fair, the original elephant was actually rightsizing the house and stuff, and I am not nearly as far along on the stuff. I have made a lot of progress though, and I continue to work with my hoarding group. I am currently living at a place where items in and items out are close to balance, but need to shift that strongly in the out direction again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Yes, for those of you who remember the “eating the elephant” saga, we are now on year five of the “elephant” (house addition). it technically started in February, but little has been happening. However, we just finished paying someone to install wood flooring (out of regular cash flow) because dh decided he just wasn’t going to have the time it would take for him to do it. It looks really nice, and I am glad to be done with subfloor.

dh is now installing baseboards and trim. Then he has to rebuild the hearth for the wood stove (the temporary hearth was removed to allow the flooring to go in) and reinstall the stove. Then the room will be done.

taking, not at all to my surprise, closer to five years than the “two” predicted.

To be fair, the original elephant was actually rightsizing the house and stuff, and I am not nearly as far along on the stuff. I have made a lot of progress though, and I continue to work with my hoarding group. I am currently living at a place where items in and items out are close to balance, but need to shift that strongly in the out direction again.
    Great progress! New wood flooring is a huge improvement and is SO much better than subfloor..

Our “5 year” renovation project, a complete gut rehab, took 22 years. I lived with subfloor for a long long time. Funny, I now prefer subfloors to that dirty carpet that covers them upstairs and I would love to rip up the carpet and just get back to sub flooring.

Congratulations Chicken lady! Having the floor done, realizing that someone else can do it faster is a plus. Iris lilies, You made me laugh about learning to love sub floor more than dirty carpet!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Congratulations Chicken lady! Having the floor done, realizing that someone else can do it faster is a plus. Iris lilies, You made me laugh about learning to love sub floor more than dirty carpet!
    A few years into our renovation, my friend who had never seen our house asked “do you have wood floors?” I wasnt sure how to answer because literal answer to his question was yes But that is not how he meant it.

CL, great news that your living room is almost done. IL, why not have wood put in upstairs now that the roof is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    CL, great news that your living room is almost done. IL, why not have wood put in upstairs now that the roof is fixed?
    Today, I fear that is a waste of money.

For one thing, I first want proper wood floor on our first floor. right now we have parquet put in 20 years ago, and it is dated. I would also like to have wood in the kitchen, breakfast room and bathroom in other words throughout the entire first floor, and that is going to be such a battle with DH I don’t even know if I can stomach it. So we have work to do on the floors in the first floor.

I believe our second floor will be entirely reworked by the next owners , that’s why I am not going to invest any money in flooring. We just heard what is happening to my friends house down the street. The new owners are ripping out the bathroom she put in 3 years ago and has barely used, such a waste of resources.

Our second floor was designed back in the day when one devoted one large room to make a huge bathroom. It is no longer the fashion, it is more fashionable to have numerous small bathrooms.

Congratulations, CL!
    We are still working on parts of our five-year plan, 34 years later. I guess it's good to always have something to strive towards. If all my stuff ever gets done, it will be time to lay down and die.
    Our house had hideous vinyl flooring in every room of the house. When we put down the sub-floor on the second floor of our house, I was absolutely in love with that plywood sub-floor after the linoleum! And words cannot convey the joy I've gotten from our hardwood floors that we laid ourselves. We now have hardwood throughout the house, except tile in our one tiny bath, and we still have hideous old vinyl in the kitchen. But never fear, it will be replaced as part of our "five-year plan."

That makes sense IL. Since you guys have plenty of money it’s sad that your husband is reluctant to spend it on something that will improve your enjoyment of the home.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That makes sense IL. Since you guys have plenty of money it’s sad that your husband is reluctant to spend it on something that will improve your enjoyment of the home.
    When I last talked to him about it, just a few weeks ago, he seemed surprised at the whole concept of putting a wood floor into the living room. Sigh. Yeah I’ve talked about it but somehow it doesn’t stick in his brain. He ishorrified to think about prying off all of the baseboards to do that floor work. When I asked him if the baseboards really had to come off he said yes they did.

He also does not think that wood is appropriate for our kitchen and breakfast nook because we are too hard on the kitchen. I’m not sure I agree with that. But whatever that may be a battle I just don’t fight. I may have wood floors in Hermann instead ha ha Ha

Yes baseboards come off. We put pergo made for kitchen and bathroom in those rooms so don’t have to worry about water. Hardwood in the other rooms. 7 years and many pets later it still looks great. Hire it done so he doesn’t have to do the work.

Thread Information