Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the deal with anti-vaxxers anyway?

And further to my previous post about chicken pox, I wish I had gotten vaccinated against it as soon as the vaccine came out. Recently the shingrix vaccine came out for shingles. I have had both doses. And both doses gave me a moderate (101ish) fever for about 24 hours. I consider that better than having to suffer shingles and the various risks from that, but best of all would have been not getting infected with chicken pox in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Agreed. Hubby has an Aunt with a severely affected arm (she was lucky that was it!).
    I think it was 1960 when I got the polio vaccine, or maybe it was 61? At any rate, it was a year or two after my uncle's bout of polio left him with one leg 2.5 inches shorter than the other. He was a growing young boy at the time (he was the youngest and my dad was the oldest of 11, he and I were in the same grade in school). He was lucky as well!

I'm not sure that I've ever had a measles or chicken pox vaccine, although I did suffer from both as a child, the mumps too on both sides.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And further to my previous post about chicken pox, I wish I had gotten vaccinated against it as soon as the vaccine came out. Recently the shingrix vaccine came out for shingles. I have had both doses. And both doses gave me a moderate (101ish) fever for about 24 hours. I consider that better than having to suffer shingles and the various risks from that, but best of all would have been not getting infected with chicken pox in the first place.
    My very first patient as a Nursing student had shingles so bad and the pain was horrific enough that at age 48, she had her spinal cord surgically severed to stop the pain. I was amazed at her spirit as she told me her story. It had been several years and her spirits were high without regret. No useful legs was far better a quality of life than the pain.

To this day I cannot imagine having to make that choice!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I did a lot of market research on that vaccine, and by far, the doctors who were the biggest proponents of it were those who had had shingles themselves, or had a close family member get it. It's easy to be complacent about a vaccine when you don't know what it's like to suffer the consequences of not getting it. And some people suffer the long-term effects of post-herpetic neuralgia once the acute stage is gone.

Thanks for reminding me to get it, jp. My DH had shingles and he said it was the worst pain he ever had.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I also agree with Bae.
    I have a nut cake niece who goes along with this crap.
    Her 4 yr old has to be tested for everything under the sun if he gets sick.
    Apparently there are still some states that allow kids in public school without proof of shots...…….

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    My very first patient as a Nursing student had shingles so bad and the pain was horrific enough that at age 48, she had her spinal cord surgically severed to stop the pain.
    I had a patient last year, in their late-80s, who got shingles. It was appalling to me the pain the poor person was in. I checked in on him every day at home, and it was just devastating to watch.

Nice, I just this moment got a note from the County Health Officer about a chickenpox outbreak in-progress here, and how to best respond....

Thread Information