Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NewGig in New England

Welcome Newgig! Reading about the changes you are working on is very interesting. I too am in that decade of "the sixties", will turn 68 in October, and this does make you stop and take stock of your life and where you want it to go in the next few years. I live alone in our home we built about 25 years ago and after my husband's passing suddenly (4 years ago) I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I did nothing. The idea of a small apartment with no upkeep and maintenance is very appealing to me at times and probably will be my destination someday but for now I am okay in the house. I live in a small town where I know a lot of people, so having no family they are my support base. For example, at the doctor's office when I have to list an emergency contact I list a friend. I have two elderly cats who have been here in the house their whole lives and it would be traumatic for them to move, so I have thought I will stay put until I no longer have them.

My house is not large, 1325 sq. ft., no stairs (except the pull down kind to the attic), has a walk-in shower so is doable in a moderate was for aging. I do have steps outside to come into the house, but only a couple on the front. I did have a banister made there last year.

Good luck with you downsizing and planning for the future. Keep us posted.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Welcome to New England! My husband and I are minimalists living in southern New Hampshire.

Yppej
    Getting to know people at the senior center is good, but I would also try to cultivate friendships with people of all ages. I once read go to any town and you can strike up conversations with strangers in the churches and the bars.

My husband and I are considering aging in place as well. We are in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    My husband and I are considering aging in place as well. We are in NH.
    We're from the same basic area. We're in the Monadnock region.

Thread Information