Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music that inspires me

Music that inspires me

I've noticed that since I've retired I seem to have lots of time for things I may have neglected to some degree previously. One of those things is music and I've come to really enjoy exploring old favorite songs and some new.

I've enjoyed many different genres but I think I now most enjoy the efforts of singer/songwriters playing minimally produced music that doesn't necessarily get airplay outside of small venues and YouTube. I think I'd like to share some of that, perhaps a new one or two daily, with others who may never have the opportunity to enjoy these unique talents.

Here's my first one: Guy Clark with Stuff That Works

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

One more for the day. I first listened to John Prine back in the 70's and only recently re-discovered him. I'm not sure what took so long since I now believe he is my absolute favorite songwriter and so-so singer ever. He'll probably show up in this thread a lot.

John Prine - Hello In There

<em>
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Oh, I love that John Prine tune so much. I remember Joan Baez performing it too. Thanks for bringing that out!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

OK, I don't mean to overdo it on one day but here's another John Prine tune performed by someone else. It's been said that there are certain artists who can do someone else's song and it automatically becomes their own. Johnny Cash was one and Bonnie Raitt is another.

I read somewhere that the term 'Angel from Montgomery' is prison slang for pardons that come down from the Governor's office in Montgomery Alabama. This song is the story of a woman trying to escape the prison her life has become.

Bonnie Raitt - Angel From Montgomery

<em>

Some friends and I are having fun doing an in-depth discussion of the book, "The Music Shop" by Rachel Joyce. I brought out my vinyl record collection to play a few pieces mentioned in the book which focuses on vinyl music.

Ivan Rebroff is my absolutely favourite singer with the range of five octaves. I have several of his LP's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudXZUgQxeg

I also found 2 LP's in my collection by Nana Mouskouri and started playing that as well. Love her voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXIGJ9y9rk

Fun thread, Alan
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

In depth program on tv today that music makes a person happy or can change from being depressed. YLMV IMO

Being an absolutely terrible guitar player I've always admired people who play well, especially an acoustic guitar using the finger picking style. Paul Simon is one of the best at this plus he writes some damn fine songs. I've often said that I find his songs either brilliant (The Boxer, Sound of Silence, etc) or crap (Me and Julio, Kodachrome), with no middle ground. In my opinion, one of the brilliant ones is his American Tune.

Paul Simon - American Tune

Another thing that inspires me in a song is the story it tells. You'll see that in just about everything I post, including another of my Paul Simon favorites.

Paul Simon - Duncan

<em>

I mentioned in a previous post that there are a few artists who can cover someone else's song and it automatically becomes theirs, then suggested Johnny Cash was one of those artists. Here he is doing it with a Sting song.

Johnny Cash - I Hung My Head

I don't have a drinking problem but start to get one every time I listen to Prine. He's a favorite but I just can't listen to him very much.

Here's one that inspired me the other day. Eva Cassidy singing "People Get Ready" live at the Blues Alley supper club.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLd2MDAHK8

Thread Information