Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music that inspires me

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't have a drinking problem but start to get one every time I listen to Prine. He's a favorite but I just can't listen to him very much.

Here's one that inspired me the other day. Eva Cassidy singing "People Get Ready" live at the Blues Alley supper club.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLd2MDAHK8
    That was nice, I'm not familiar with her but I'll be on the lookout for more.

I'm sorry to hear that John Prine has that effect on you. Maybe you just need to hear one of his happier songs. Here's one I tell my wife he wrote about us.

John Prine & Iris Dement - In Spite Of Ourselves

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If I keep up this thread with a new post or two per day one thing that will become obvious is that the music that inspires me is simple. A singer, an acoustic insturment or two such as a guitar, an alto bass or cello, maybe a mandolin. No drums, no piano, no horns but maybe once in a while a woodwind of some sort.
    The songs themselves seldom have mass appeal, you'll never hear them on top 40 type radio stations and if music stores still existed you'd probably have to look in the bargain bins to find them.

Another of my favorites is Lyle Lovett. He got my attention in his early days with his unusual songs and the big sound of his "Large Band", but I didn't then appreciate how much I'd like him later when I started finding examples of his more intimate performances.

Lyle Lovett -
    If I Had A Boat

<em>
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Paul Simon’s old ballads are very nice. Duncan’s song is beautiful and very sad. America might be my favorite Simon tune, certainly Btidge over troubled water is gorgeous and an American classic.

I just finished reading the new biography about Paul Simon. It is an authoritative one the first one really that is detailed and written from interviews with him. He didn’t tell me a whole lot I didn’t already know but it was interesting to see how driven he is. He was always concerned about how his material was perceived, how it was selling, etc.

Apparently he has hung up the guitar and touring but I wonder how someone like that can put it on the shelf.

I hear that Cher is coming to town. I remember one or two previous Cher farewell tours.

Another for Rogar, I find this one helpful when I'm feeling down.

John Prine - Beautiful World

Speaking of Iris Dement, her song "Our Town" always makes me sad. It's about leaving home. If you need a drinking song, check out Dale Watson - an old favorite from our Austin days.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Paul Simon’s old ballads are very nice. Duncan’s song is beautiful and very sad. America might be my favorite Simon tune, certainly Btidge over troubled water is gorgeous and an American classic.
    I'm drawn to a lot of his older stuff, he has a poet's soul and he's a great technical guitarist. I'd add The Boxer, Homeward Bound, America, Armistice Day and Run That Body Down to my top 10 list.

Here's a Paul Simon related anecdote for you. About 20 years ago I was working late, sitting in my office, when one of our building housekeeping staff came in to vacuum and collect trash. Her name was Betty and I'd spent a fair amount of time chatting with her over the years. On this particular night she was upset with a new kid who'd just been brought onto the housekeeping staff, she didn't think he was showing her the proper respect by calling her by her first name instead of calling her Mrs Jackson. Now, I'd been calling her Betty for years and suddenly felt the need to apologize if I'd offended her as well but she quickly let me know that it was OK if I did it because we were roughly the same age. That was a relief, so in my best sing-song voice I told her that "If I can call you Betty, then Betty when you call me you can call me Al".

She didn't get it. It was awkward, and I've never had the opportunity to do it again.

I really like the John Prine tune. I wasn't familiar with it, so thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Another for Rogar, I find this one helpful when I'm feeling down.

John Prine - Beautiful World
    Thanks Alan. Those are a couple of good ones from his lighter side. I think Prine is a national treasure, but some of his songs just hit me sort of hard for some reason. I think he's lightened up some from his Sam Stone days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Thanks Alan. Those are a couple of good ones from his lighter side.
    He has a fairly extensive lighter side, but they're typically not as moving as the rest. I won't post them here but you could also check out Dear Abby and Please Don't Bury Me or his more recent Lonesome Friends Of Science.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm drawn to a lot of his older stuff, he has a poet's soul and he's a great technical guitarist. I'd add The Boxer, Homeward Bound, America, Armistice Day and Run That Body Down to my top 10 list.

Here's a Paul Simon related anecdote for you. About 20 years ago I was working late, sitting in my office, when one of our building housekeeping staff came in to vacuum and collect trash. Her name was Betty and I'd spent a fair amount of time chatting with her over the years. On this particular night she was upset with a new kid who'd just been brought onto the housekeeping staff, she didn't think he was showing her the proper respect by calling her by her first name instead of calling her Mrs Jackson. Now, I'd been calling her Betty for years and suddenly felt the need to apologize if I'd offended her as well but she quickly let me know that it was OK if I did it because we were roughly the same age. That was a relief, so in my best sing-song voice I told her that "If I can call you Betty, then Betty when you call me you can call me Al".

She didn't get it. It was awkward, and I've never had the opportunity to do it again.
    doh, of course The Boxer is in his top ballads.how could I not mention that.

No one will ever believe this, but I had “a moment” with locked eyes with Paul Simon back in the day. While I am sure he had about 8,000 of those moments with fangirls, it was the one I needed to knock it off my bucket list.

He is not only short, he is tiny.

Thread Information