Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Climate Dysphoria

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I may not be young, but as they say in Spamalot, I'm not dead yet, so I'm not yet powerless to TRY to do my small part to change things.
    Of course, but haven't many of us been doing our small part?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Of course, but haven't many of us been doing our small part?
    Yes, of course--I didn't mean to suggest that that isn't the case. I just meant I'm not ready to give up yet. I agree that the young will be much more in tune with what needs to be done than our generation, but it's frustrating that so many the Old Guard are such obstructionists, and I don't intend to get lumped in with them!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The thing about the young is they may not have been raised in the right conditions to be the force for change we need (this is more a question than an answer, I don't know) The economic headwinds they face are severe, It can produce a tendency just to focus on one's own economic survival (yes but, that won't save us) There was a lot more leeway in the 60s to "dropout" and drop back in, that doesn't exist now, there is a lot less economic slack, and the tracking of one's every move is more extensive (by the criminal justice system and by social media) A single mistake can be personally catastrophic, but climate change is globally catastrophic

They may have been helicopter parented, as an Xer I had a lot of freedom when young It may have made me who I am They are bombarded with serious tools of distraction with smart phones, distraction has been around for awhile, so I personally don't know if it's any worse than ever, but certainly some people think so The education they received may not have been great, they have been tested, taught to test, and charter schooled to death (but since my public education kinda sucked, maybe it's not really any worse, but the boomers seem to have been some kind of golden age for education)

I have certainly gone to things where the only people there almost were old hippies (the boomers who don't care, of which I'm sure there are tons, wouldn't be there anyway) It's discouraging as some younger involvement is needed But at the same time if the body is willing, then why not be involved, up until it's no longer willing whatever age that is (and sure one is more likely to have physical problems they must make a little or a LOT of compromise with if they are older, one can only do what they can do, and hold their own personal body and soul together too) So some of these things with nothing but old hippies have made me weary of betting on the young, a lot less confidence than some here have due to what I've seen But if it's different where you are great And even here, it's not universally true, some things have some involvement of younger people!! And that's good

As for getting arrested, if one is willing then sure One just needs to be honest with themselves about what resources of all sorts they have to handle the potential blowback of that and what courage they do or don't have now, maybe despite lack of resource etc! And if one is honest and it isn't for one then almost noone gets arrested for protest unless they seek to it seems to me (but it also seems to be fairly ineffective), nobody gets arrested for electoral politics, for phone banking, going door to door for a candidate, running for office But it's only worth a bother if one has (or is) an actual good candidate to support, if it's just some lame slightly less evil, filled to the gills with corporate (or worse fossil fuel) money, then it's not worth any more effort than casting a vote maybe (for some not even that)

Other countries are a lot more active in the climate change struggle than here, a lot more activism
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information