Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure Monitoring

Geila
    I just picked up some magnesium and took the first pill last night. This morning I had my lowest BP reading so far: 112/71. I'm dubious of it taking effect that quickly - it's probably more likely that it's due to my daily exercise as I've been doing strength training every day. But it's still a good thing.

I read that it can cause stomach issues so I'm thinking of starting it off slowly, the bottle says to take 2 pills per day, I was thinking 1 pill for a few days and then increasing it.

For those of you taking the supplement - do you tolerate it well?

Geila
    Wow - the magnesium really works! And it works fast. All of my numbers are now in the normal range, including the nighttime which was down to 117/68 last night. The lowest I'd gotten it with exercise was 123/73, and that only happened once. This morning I was at 109/70. My lowest morning reading before starting the magnesium was 117/72, and I had been in the 120's the 2 days before starting it, so this is a reduction of over 10 points for the morning number. And a drop of 8 points at night. I've been pretty shocked at the rapid improvement.

Thank you for the suggestion!!!

This is the one I'm taking because I already take calcium and vitamin D3, and it was readily available at Costco: https://www.costco.com/Nature-Made-M...100416097.html

And it's much cheaper and safer than BP drugs! I usually take about 200mg every morning.

I don’t know why doctors don’t understand this but magnesium is something that is hard to test for because the levels in our blood can be normal but what’s important is what’s inside the cells and it could be low there. Sometimes it’s just not getting into the cell. If you get diarrhea from the magnesium you’re taking try another form and that may help. I had an irregular heartbeat once so bad that I went to the ER. Fortunately there was a very smart doc there who gave me magnesium IV and the irregular heartbeat went away for two weeks. Then later I told my regular doctor that and he said no magnesium doesn’t have anything to do with the heart. I don’t understand why doctors can’t appreciate The importance of minerals and vitamins. I’m glad it seems to be helping you! And definitely do have your vitamin D level checked if you can and even if it’s normal go ahead and take a supplement. What is considered a normal level turns out to be too low for some people.

Magnesium has everything to do with heart function.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...n-heart-health

Keep taking your BP as it may continue to drop. If you sustain diastolic under 65, go back to dr. You may need to decrease or stop your prescription med. but please don't just stop it on your own.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I take vitamin D too--as I'm a grotto dweller--and 400 mg of magnesium glycinate. Magnesium is one of the few supplements that I can rely on to act as advertised, and relax me.
    Hi Jane - I'm finishing my bottle of magnesium citrate and would like to try the glycinate. I haven't really noticed any relaxation effects from the citrate and I'd like to see how I do with something else. Can you share what brand you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I haven't really noticed any relaxation effects from the citrate and I'd like to see how I do with something else.
    I don't have experience with other forms of magnesium as a supplement but I've been taking 400 mg of magnesium glycinate just before bedtime for months now and I can't say that I feel any more relaxed going to sleep or staying asleep. Perhaps it's different for different bodies, so I might try magnesium citrate next to see if that works any differently for me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've been using Solaray.

Geila
    Thanks, Jane!

Steve - it could be true that different bodies respond to different forms of it. I just talked to a friend of mine who didn't get any results from the magnesium citrate but got immediate relaxation effects from the Nature Made magnesium oxide (both bought at Costco). The magnesium oxide pills are 400 mg. versus 250 mg. for the citrate, so that could have something to do with it too. He says the oxide gives him a big boost of energy too.

I'm going to experiment with both and see what works. I just wish I could find the glycinate locally, I hate buying from Amazon.

Thread Information