Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage sales

Used to do them all the time and had one big one right before we moved. There were a couple where we made $500-600 but had a lot of interesting things to sell. I think nowadays there is so much excess stuff floating around that they aren't quite as popular anymore. If I need to get rid of something now, I either take it to Goodwill or post on craigslist free. The neighbor behind me just sticks crap in the alley with the hope that someone will pick it up.

Well, we made out pretty well. No furniture sold, but we did get rid of a lot of technology/electronics, which was amazing considering none of it could be considered "modern." Plus a lot of random miscellaneous stuff. Made about $400, so it was worth it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We just finished our (if memory serves) 27th today. We had unseasonably warm weather and we are wiped out. That said, it was a blast as they all are. We have customers that come every year. My neighbors join in and I usually have about 3-5 people that will pool their items with mine. The more the merrier and we have a BBQ after. I had to smile because one gal joined for the first time and when she came to pick up her items (not much left) she was shocked at how much she made. Another neighbor was standing there, nodded at me and said "When it comes to garage sales she is gangster". I take it as a huge compliment.

We have a town wide yard sale twice a year and I usually participate in those. Some years are good, some not so good. The main reason I participate in them, however, is because I invite family and friends to come and sell whatever they have/want and it just turns into a great day of visiting. If we sell stuff, all the better, but it's the visit that counts.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Catherine, you did great! I would put the furniture on OfferUp and CL. We sold furniture quickly that way.

I lived in a town that had an annual street fair, and we were around the corner from the main venue. So we did a yard sale on the Saturday, for several years. My daughter sold a lot of her toys as she outgrew them, and I sold clothes, hers and mine, misc household and crafts. It was a lot of work, but we always made around $400.

When I did my major downsize 12 years ago, I used mostly craigslist, because I had a lot of furniture. It went very well.
    Before and after my last move 3 years ago, I used Facebook market place, Freecycle, and Nextdoor, also worked very well. Here I just put stuff out on the “free” corner, or take it to the local animal rescue thrift store. I’m pretty right-sized these days, so mostly it’s “use it up or wear it out.”

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, you did great! I would put the furniture on OfferUp and CL. We sold furniture quickly that way.
    That's on my to-do list for today! I took the pictures last night.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information