Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage sales

Garage sales

So it's a lovely spring day here in Central New Jersey, and I'm sitting on a sofa that's out on the front porch because we're trying to sell it and a whole bunch of other things.

I've had garage sales in the past--maybe 5 total. I was hoping I'd be able to get rid of stuff today. It's inside and outside--whole rooms being sold off, but so far I have $11 for my effort.

Hopefully things will pick up, and if not it's the dumpster, Craiglist, and Freecycle.

Have you ever had a garage sale? How did it work out?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have had a ton of garage sales and some went better than others. I don’t do them anymore. I use CL, OfferUp or letgo.

The one garage sale we had,say, 25 years ago, I remember how much we made because it was an easy amount to remember – $100. It was not my idea and I didn’t staff it. I had better things to do with my time.

Many years later we set up a booth at our neighborhood’s House Tour sale of antiques and collectibles. We made $800, and that was after paying for the booth. But by then I was selling off collectibles and antiques and vintage stuff because I was starting to get rid of stuff.

I had a garage sale once. At the end of it I said I'd never worked so hard for so little money, but that's not true--I picked beans one summer...As mad as I am for thrift shopping, I don't even like going garage or yard saling.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    As mad as I am for thrift shopping, I don't even like going garage or yard saling.
    yea I feel they are looking over my shoulder wanting me to buy something. The thrift shop isn't watching me, although they need customers, not that badly, they could care less if I just browse that day or many.
    Trees don't grow on money

Years ago we had one garage sale as part of a neighbourhood sale and it was hilarious.

A friend came by to help and he found a truly awful gift we had received in one of those surprise white elephant gifting. He greeted everyone and explained the virtues of this large lime-green candle and how it would be thrown in with any item chosen. People bought stuff that we wanted to get rid of laughing the whole time but no one wanted that candle. After a couple of hours, we had more people coming to see the candle and have our friend greet them. The whole neighbourhood was talking about it and got a laugh out of it.

The most amusing part to me was our kids. They were teens at the time and horrified as teens can be at some of the crazy antics that parents can do - imagine selling their old stuff! They hid in the house at first but the roars of laughter and crowds that showed up finally caused them to come and see what the noise was all about. They were laughing along with everyone else in no time.

Yard sales to me are fun times for meet and greet. I used to go garage-saling occasionally but found that stuff was just total junk or priced at almost new. That and the price of gas discouraged me. As I walk the dog now, I stop to say hi and wish them well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It has been years, but the last time I did, it was part of a multifamily garage sales. Since what I have tended to get rid of are tools (as I have upgraded, due to bargins), I have done quite well. I might again this year, as I have multiple tool chests, since I plan on building something that suits me better.

I have had garage sales and went just this weekend to the village wide garage sales held near here. Usually the sales are really fun and lots of people participate. No so this year. We have had too many cold, rainy days in a row to prompt people to work in their cold garages to prepare for a sale. We no longer do the sales either. Now we just keep a large box in the garage and when it is full .... off to St Vinny's it goes.

Never done one. Don't go to them. We did however sell an old sofa/love at my sister's G sale back in 95. We did sit the sale with them for a few hours since they let us bring the furniture. She said "never again". And she hasn't.

We got paid 25 cents to take a big ceramic nut dish with a squirrel on it. Everyone was laughing.

Thread Information