Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roller coasters - do you ride them?

My parents were always terrified if we went somewhere with a coaster. I finally got them to tell me the story about when they dated and went on a wooden coaster that was falling apart!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

When I was a kid I enjoyed the big roller coasters with hills, big hills! those were fun. I thought the Wild Mouse was stupid I hated it Because all it did was jerk you around the sharp corners if I remember right they were very few hills and they were small on the Wild Mouse.

Now I don’t go on roller coasters I have no interest and I don’t even go to places that have roller coasters.

Every chance I get!! I'm a member of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts), GOCC (Great Ohio Coaster Club) and DAFE (Dark Attraction and Funhouse Enthusiasts), and both DH and I love amusement parks, especially the non-chain ones (Knoebels, Waldameer, etc.). He won't go anywhere near the coasters but loves bumper cars, carousels, haunted houses and trains.

razz -- You're talking about Yukon Striker at Canada's Wonderland. I'm hoping to go there in September to ride it. I've ridden other dive coasters, this one is just bigger.

nswef -- When did you ride a Wild Mouse at Kennywood? I don't remember one being there and I've lived in Pittsburgh all of my life (but we always went to the late West View Park). I was just at KW last weekend for opening day. Look up the new coaster they're building (Steel Curtain). It's a doozy and will break several records, including 9 inversions, one of which is 197 feet above ground!

Float On -- Yes, there are still Wild Mouse coasters, a lot of them also spin. Look up Crazy Mouse at Del Grosso's Park. Kennywood has pretty much the same coaster but it's in a dark building, themed as a rat going through a sewer (The Exterminator). The track is painted black and the only lights are a few strobe lights -- very disorienting and you can't watch the ride so the spinning catches first-time riders by surprise.

Gardnr -- I'm older than you (I can't believe I'll be 60 in December) and I refuse to grow up!

And if you want to see a really unique coaster, look up Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City in Branson. I got to ride it last May.

We were just at our favorite park (Knoebels) two weeks ago for opening weekend. The front seat of Phoenix is the best seat in the entire park!

I believe I posted on here 4 years ago about my trip to England with ACE - 14 parks in 11 days, and a stop at Stonehenge. It was marvelous!

So, to follow up on my last post, I rode the new Steel Curtain at Kennywood today. It opens to the public tomorrow but I was invited to today's media preview event. I had to be at the park by 6:00 a.m. and
    rode it several times, the first time at 7:15 a.m., including one ride in the front seat. It is incredible! A very comfortable ride, very smooth, very re-rideable, and I liked it much more than I thought I would. The inversions were quite smooth, which is not always the case on these types of rides. Here's a front seat POV: https://tinyurl.com/SteelCurtainPOV

I still love wooden coasters more but this one (along with Phantom's Revenge at the same park) are acceptable too. :-)

Cool video! I think I'll stick with the virtual experience though. I haven't been on a roller coaster for a very long time, but I recall that I got thrown around and battered a bit because I am pretty small.

Sba girl, I cant see your image, but thanks foe this first hand report.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was able to cut and paste the link to a youtube video. That was perfect for me to see but not do so thanks for posting.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I was able to cut and paste the link to a youtube video. That was perfect for me to see but not do so thanks for posting.
    Working link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YhJhqTGRbc
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Have not been on one in about 10-15 years. There's a very nice amusement park not too far from our home. However, I'm not really a coaster person. More of a carousel person!

For years I had a bizarre dream that I was on coaster, and as soon as we got to the top of the "big hill" I woke up. Or, most of the dream was spent trying to decide whether or not to go on the coaster.

Thanks, Alan -- I don't know how I managed to mess up the tinyurl. That wasn't my video (cameras and phones are strictly forbidden) but several cameras were temporarily put on the train for the media.

Thread Information