Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what sucks about living small

what sucks about living small

I started renting a room about a year ago and have moved once. The advantages are that I can stay in Denver for one. Also I bought a car, was able to pay on my student loans, and generally am able to have more freedom financially.

Today I am talking about what sucks,
    * It is hard to do many things in my small space. I spend a lot of time cleaning up one thing to start another. I can't manage my finances and spread out at the same time I am working on a crochet project.
    * I ended up getting rid of a lot of things that I would need to re-purchase when I move out again (thinking just under 2 years now). Some of it I really liked or got a good deal.
    * I have to sit on the end of my bed to access my dresser
    * the cat box needs to be in my room. It is in the closet and there is actually a cat door/opening so I can close the door.
    * I can't do some projects like refinishing my exceptionally cool table. It is an antique side table that is small but also folds out to be a larger table, The larger surface shows a lot of water damage from my kids overwatering plants.
    * social, having people over is pretty much impossible unless they are very understanding and it is just one person.

Okay griping over, just thinking about how much we think major downsizing is great, and there are things to consider

What Would be the right sized abode for you in Denver? Would it be a one bedroom or an efficiency apartment? You’ve talked about the co-op housing so I guess that’s probably yet but I’m not sure if that’s realistic, but it might be.

Yppej
    Can you refinish the table outdoors? I stained a dresser once on my driveway because I am clumsy and did not want the stain to drip on the floor.

There are whole Youtube videos about just these complaints by people who tried to live in tiny houses. It is also just what many many people experience when moving to NYC or now San Francisco and other places. It is just what is wanted or necessary to meet current or future goals. In NYC, people generally do not socialize at home. They use other spaces, often free or inexpensive.

Friends were recently discussing that few meet in their homes as we do anymore. There are coffee clubs who meet for brunch or just a beverage at a Tim Hortons Donuts or McDonalds or other spot at any part of the day that works - some in the evenings, some in mornings and some in afternoons. People are free to come if their schedule permits and no one has the responsibility of cleaning house or prepping a treat. There are groups of families even with young children, retiree groups or mens/ladies groups dotted around. I am going to start one this month as they work well.
    It is not just downsizing but how life is generally evolving socially although I recognize that you are just expressing your observations.

Keep the goal in mind!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm sure it's because I'm an introvert and love having a small home as an excuse to not entertain, but I always laugh at the HGTV shows where inevitably the young buyers see a home with an "open concept" kitchen that's bigger than my VT house and the next words out of their mouth is "I can see myself entertaining here." I always wonder how much entertaining they actually do. So to buy a huge home to satisfy some unfulfilled dreams of entertaining 4 times a year seems silly.

But, ZG, I understand what you're saying. Living small definitely has its limitations. I guess the key are the workarounds. Can you buy a desk/organizing system at IKEA or someplace like that that will allow you to switch gears easily? Maybe use lap desks that you can just open up, put your papers in and stick under your bed, and then take out another lap desk that has your crochet/craft stuff in it.

Can you negotiate more space in the house/apartment for periodic use? I'm assuming the kitchen is off limits?

I love this Portlandia satire on tiny houses.. I've probably posted it before but I always laugh. You may relate, ZG!

https://vimeo.com/151916585
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

IL, the co-op housing in Denver is wonderful and very expensive. The one I know has 2 bedroom houses as the smallest option. In northwest Denver I never even wanted to look at the prices. A one-bedroom is about $1200-1400 anywhere in Denver.

I think I am pretty awesome at using my space. I have one of those lap desks, and I have all right sized furniture. I bought a day bed and use it as a sitting area plus have an Ikea chair in here. My queen size bed would have taken up the whole room. My dirty clothes go in flat bins under the bed and I do laundry frequently. Many years ago, when I had my first major downsize due to foreclosure, I went to personal care items that were limited to a few travel bags. So I am happy with that.

Mostly this is my gripe. The house is very small, one living area, 3 small bedrooms, a nice backyard, and a storage shed that I keep my crafty stuff and paperwork and suitcases. I definitely need my storage unit! I enjoyed having a few projects going at a time and room to spread out the few months I lived on my own. Between the high rent and student loan payment it would have taken a side job in addition to my regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

I love this Portlandia satire on tiny houses.. I've probably posted it before but I always laugh. You may relate, ZG!

https://vimeo.com/151916585
    That is hilarious, especially the cutting toast on his back. I couldn't help thinking about the cat box!!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm sure it's because I'm an introvert and love having a small home as an excuse to not entertain, but I always laugh at the HGTV shows where inevitably the young buyers see a home with an "open concept" kitchen that's bigger than my VT house and the next words out of their mouth is "I can see myself entertaining here." I always wonder how much entertaining they actually do. So to buy a huge home to satisfy some unfulfilled dreams of entertaining 4 times a year seems silly. ...
    Back in the days when there was a bit of grace and utility to architecture, you didn't have to have what is essentially a fire pit in the living room to entertain--kitchens were big enough for friends to hang out in--even if you were an introvert. What's next--open bathrooms? (Maybe so, judging by the Portlandia sketch, which summed up my view of micro-living.)

ZoeGirl, Your room sounds a bit small for you. You mentioned two years--is that when you'll be able to afford a larger space?

I think my favorite youtube videos to watch this week is about "what sucks about van life". Everyone is going over how hard it is to keep their vans clean, how they move everything to do anything.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information