Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what sucks about living small

In August it will be three years of living small for me. I still really like it 95% of the time. At least I am not sharing living space with another person and I have my own kitchen and bath, but I know the ritual of having to clean up and put things away all the time in order to do something else, otherwise extreme chaos reigns.

There are a few things I miss - having a couch to lounge on is one of them. I get tired of using my bed as a couch - I put my lap top on a bed tray and I watch Netflix that way. It's a bit harder when my boyfriend comes over to watch something with me but we make it work for us, albeit a little awkwardly.

My little downside is living and working in the same space - it definitely has its advantages but also many disadvantages. My food and my refrigerator are so close by, it feels like I am snacking all the time. The lack of privacy between the gallery space and my living space can be weird; even if I am not working and I am home, I hear everything going on in the gallery. And when I escape outside to my private deck, I can hear people going into the gallery on the other side of the privacy fence. They have NO idea I am there, and I get to hear snippets of every kind of conversation imaginable. The summer is a bit harder - that is when I make a point of doing day trips and errands on my days off because the gallery is open seven days a week with dozens and dozens of people coming and going. It gets to be a bit too people-y even if I am in the back working on jewelry and then I have to escape from the premises.

Even after this job stint is over I can see my next living situation doesn't have to be that much bigger and I'd be perfectly happy.

We have people for dinner frequently and have 3 big parties a year. 2 are in the spring and fall so we can be outside. Even when I was in my 869 sq ft condo I would invite 8 people for dinner.

Surprisingly the one bathroom for 2 adults and a part time kid does not bother me at all. There is a bath tub available to me! It has been like 9 years since I had a bathtub. We just communicate. And actually it is super great to have a roommate, she is nice and compatible. I don't feel the urge to go out a lot to make social contact, and if I want to be left alone I just close my door. My cat loves!!! the other people around, and the dog, and the yard.

I am not sure I would want to live alone, but an art space would be amazing.

Loved the micro house video! ZG, would a co-housing for craft work space for you? That way, your room would be for sleeping mostly.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh doh!! I was recalling maker spaces! I signed up to take a tour of one on Wednesday. It is $25 a month, more if you want access to more tools. But the sewing and crafting materials I would need are in the basic membership. I think these are open a lot of hours so I could go mid-day on my split shifts. It serves my need for more space for crafting AND making some connections that are not just women all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Oh doh!! I was recalling maker spaces! I signed up to take a tour of one on Wednesday. It is $25 a month, more if you want access to more tools. But the sewing and crafting materials I would need are in the basic membership. I think these are open a lot of hours so I could go mid-day on my split shifts. It serves my need for more space for crafting AND making some connections that are not just women all the time.
    Sounds like a really good option. Let us know how it works out when you do the tour.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Maker-space!! That’s what I need....

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Wow! That sounds perfect!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information