Thread: Interesting bill in Alabama......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Interesting bill in Alabama......

There is a bill winding through the political process in Alabama that would, if passed, criminalize false rape allegations. I've been following this story and it's been a real eye opener for me in that I am more than a bit repulsed by the liberal, feminist take on this bill that I've at least witnessed online - once again, online, and not in real life. It's difficult for me to grasp that for a subsection of the population, it's perfectly acceptable for a man's life to be ruined via false rape allegation(s). I'm not becoming Conservative per se on you'all here but I will say in this one area I definitely am tilting more conservative.

This is no bash to the ladies on this board. I don't believe all women are like this or would make such an allegation - though there are men who believe all women would. I am not one of them. This is however enough of an issue for a bill to come to the table in a conservative (granted) state......and something else that galls me as a liberal - this bill would not have been created in Caliornia, Washington, Oregon, or any other liberal state. Interestingly enough it's in a red state that Men's Rights even begin to matter in the slightest iota. I find this embarrassing as a liberal. Whatever. At least this bill has seen the light of day SOMEWHERE. Let's see what unfolds going forward. Rob

It's a shame that "conservative" or "liberal" need to be tied to this issue. I see it as "right" and "wrong". Rape is wrong and the perpetrator should be punished. Lying and ruining someone's life with a lie is wrong and should be punished.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It's a shame that "conservative" or "liberal" need to be tied to this issue. I see it as "right" and "wrong". Rape is wrong and the perpetrator should be punished. Lying and ruining someone's life with a lie is wrong and should be punished.
    Thank You, Happystuff. This street indeed does go both ways and it gives me hope that you posted this and can see this....Thank You! Rob

PS I also agree that's it is a shame to see this as "conservative" and "liberal" and not right and wrong.

I am very concerned about this. Rape is very difficult to prove and is very underreported. When it is reported the victims are treated badly. With the abortion laws that are going around it seems that if you were assaulted, chose not to report, and then tried to choose an abortion you would not reasonably be able to get one in many places. Not that these laws allow for abortion in the case of rape either.

If it was shown that a person intentionally tried to ruin someone by a false allegation then I can see something punishable. However if there was simply not enough evidence and the victim brought charges in good faith then it should not be punished.

Totally agree ZG.

It is already illegal to make a false police report in Alabama. (How many people do they prosecute for this in Alabama every year?) This proposed new law is just an attempt to discourage reporting.

It's vile virtue signaling. And grandstanding

Here's the bill, it's foolishness:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.../HB544-int.pdf

Whoever wrote it doesn't even know how the legal system works, look at this tidbit:

"He or she willfully, knowingly, and with malicious intent, makes a false report of rape in the first degree, sodomy in the first degree, or sexual torture, and whose allegations are proven to be false."

Imagine trying to prosecute that and get a conviction. What's the standard for "allegations are proven to be false"? I suspect that if this bill were passed, nobody would ever be prosecuted under it or convicted.

Thank you Bae, I didn't know the specifics however I did know that making false allegations or slander were already illegal. This bill specifically targeting rape is not necessary, and to me has more political motives than justice.

There is a difference between someone being found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and saying the allegations are proven false.

Apart from certain college campuses, wouldn’t the falsely accused have recourse to suits for malicious prosecution or abuse of process?

I agree with happystuff too, but I think if you’re serious about this you also have to remove the stigma from the rape victim. You have to stop giving men a pass because “she was wearing a tight shirt”. Stop mansplaining.

I am a happily married woman. I’ve been married for nearly 40 years. But when Lorena hobbit did her thing years back I was one of 4 women a librarian, a school teacher, a mother, and me who were all talking about it in excited, rather breathless terms. Guilty and excited. All of us were happily married. Most of us were mothers. And, from what I saw that day, all of us had been forced to go too fast, at a minimum.

I’m a rape victim. I was raped in front of 4 people. I did not report it. why? The guy was my fiancé and became my first husband. I have psych problems, people would have said it was my fault, and I figured that too. It would have been awkward for my friends who were the witnesses. I remembered it, so I thought I was fine. I was, for about 20 years, then it took a serious toll on my 2nd and present marriage.

i think yes, it should be a crime to accuse someone of a crime they didn’t commit. But I also think that we need to change our social attitude about who’s responsible for their actions and that there isn’t a switch that just gets flipped off at some point because it’s hard.

Thread Information