Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-line selling scam alerts (Craigslist, etc)?

On-line selling scam alerts (Craigslist, etc)?

I'm on Phase II of the major decluttering: trying to sell/give away online.

I posted about 7 offers on both Craigslist and also OfferUp (thanks, Teacher Terry, for mentioning that site).

I got 3 emails in succession from Craigslist, each one asking if a different item was still available, and they said "text me at XXXXXXXXXX")

I'm immediately suspicious of that one. Should I ignore, or ask him for a phone number so we can talk? His email mentioned "sent through CPlus" which is a craigslist app that streamlines buying/selling. But not sure if that alone legitimizes the sale.

I also got a message from OfferUp, simply saying "is available address please". Because of the language in that text, I'm inclined to ignore that one, too.

Are my instincts good? Any tips on being able to identify real buyers vs scammers?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hear generally that there are many scammers on craigslist.

The last thing I sold on craigslist was a patio set donated by our friend. We sold for our Park Conservancy.

I only agreed to sell it on craigslist because I personally like these sets and they seem to be popular and I know how much they go for. The people who bought it were straightforward and were exactly like I thought they would be: like us, our age from our part of the city.

DH recently sold something via Facebook marketplace. It was an old cast-iron pot it was out in our yard in Hermann and I hated it and told them to get rid of it please and he got $35 for it and he said several people contacted him about it so that was odd, what a piece of junk, but good for him.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-13-19 at 1:18pm.

Yes just ignore those people. Someone that’s interested will ask question or when can they come see it.

Also if something hasn’t sold in a week lower the price.

Sold our bedroom set! That's a big deal because it's a whole room of furniture--5 pieces. Plus the guy is coming with a truck and a helper and DH doesn't have to worry about carting it down a flight of stairs!! And we're getting $125 for this crappy cheap laminate stuff that we inherited from my son when he came back up from Florida over 15 years ago. Score!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine that is good that you got rid of it with little effort and got a bit of money for it, too.

Very wary of craigslist these days but sometimes it works. Trust your instincts. NextDoor is a little safer so far.

That’s great!

I agree with the other comments. Trust your instincts. Legit purchasers will maybe ask a few details about the item and then ask when/where they can check it out in person. I'd also make clear on the ad "CASH ONLY". And ignore anyone that has a weird story involving paying you any other way. And for items small enough I'd plan on meeting them at a nearby starbucks or whatever rather than give your address. Obviously for a bed or tv this would be impractical.

We haven't moved in 9 years but even back then selling stuff online was annoying. Lots of weird flaky people out there...

We tried selling stuff this way but dealt with way too many weird people. Too many folks with questions that were answered in the ad, balked at paying cash or just wanted us to call / text them with no information from their end. DH is naturally suspicious so he didn't like dealing with all that, we pulled the plug on Craigslist. Found other ways to sell or we just got rid of it.

Thread Information