Thread: lawn chemicals at the park

lawn chemicals at the park

Earlier today, I noticed a crew spraying all the grassy areas at our neighborhood park. When I went back late this afternoon, there were little yellow flags with DANGER - pesticide applied. Right next to these signs were people laying in the grass, letting their dogs run and babies crawl about. Barefoot children running and playing. And I'm thinking - is that really safe? Am I the only one this bothers? Apparently it didn't bother any of the park goers as they were oblivious to the signs.

I once sat on the grass in the park and my face swelled up and I had trouble breathing. I had to go to the emergency room. For days my face was swollen. This was 30 years ago before I had asthma.

I agree that that seems really stupid on those people's part. But I also have to say that I'm surprised there were signs. I've been to plenty of parks in my life and don't recall ever seeing signs like that. Maybe I've just not gone at the right time.

I think it might be a law (city, county or state?) requiring posting of signs after spraying. It has the EPA# on it. It baffles me why people hate dandelions so much.

Sometimes the spray is actually non-toxic in the public's eyes but the municipality has to post that the spray has been applied as a legal warning. I know in our area, iron or FeHEDTA is the least toxic choice of spray for broadleaf weed control. I just tried to find out how toxic it is to pets and humans without success.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I appreciate dandelions and all wildflowers; cultivars not nearly as much, so I don't get the impulse to destroy every manifestation of nature right there in your yard, then drive for twenty miles to savor it in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I appreciate dandelions and all wildflowers; cultivars not nearly as much, so I don't get the impulse to destroy every manifestation of nature right there in your yard, then drive for twenty miles to savor it in the wilderness.
    You are so right!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If the sign said pesticides it may have been for ticks.

Thread Information