Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting stereotypes of ageing

... For age is opportunity no less
    Than youth itself, though in another dress,
    And as the evening twilight fades away,
    The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.

-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Morituri Salutamus

We don’t like to be out late at night either. I want to read and relax.

Yppej
    Jimmy Carter is a good role model of aging well.

And Mick Jagger! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqpYIbmvP4

I suppose I'm not aging well, since I'm nearly lame--and I get tired of being sent articles about 90 year-old hikers and dancing grannies. I'm just thankful for the faculties I do still have, and that I'm otherwise healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I try not to say "senior moment." I definitely don't say it to clients. Other things I don't do with clients: Tell them my age, or the age of my kids (My oldest is 41 today--yikes!). I never reference old technology or admit that I had a dial phone or a black-and-white TV. I never say "Back in the old days we..." I don't say, "You probably weren't even born when..." I try not to dress stodgily. I watch my posture. I never talk about my health or medications. I don't take medications, but if I did, I wouldn't take them in front of clients. I never talk in absolutes--I try to keep an open attitude about everything.

I do that in particular with my clients, but I try to follow those "rules" in general.
    I generally follow this as well. I don't use "senior moment" either. I say "brain cramp" instead because a brain cramp can happen at any age, right?

Nor do I reference old technology or say "back in the day we had..." Because frankly I love new technology. Where was a PC back when I was in college and had to produce papers on a manual typewriter? Would have made my life so much easier. I hated typing those things.

And I sure as hell don't tell my Millennial coworkers that I am old enough to be their mother and talk to them like they are naughty children, something I got from older workers when I was their age.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I try not to say "senior moment." I definitely don't say it to clients. Other things I don't do with clients: Tell them my age, or the age of my kids (My oldest is 41 today--yikes!). I never reference old technology or admit that I had a dial phone or a black-and-white TV. I never say "Back in the old days we..." I don't say, "You probably weren't even born when..." I try not to dress stodgily. I watch my posture. I never talk about my health or medications. I don't take medications, but if I did, I wouldn't take them in front of clients. I never talk in absolutes--I try to keep an open attitude about everything.

I do that in particular with my clients, but I try to follow those "rules" in general.
    I generally do the same. I'm not afraid of technology, or of changes in society--if I think it's changing for the worse, I'll work to oppose that change. I like my stroke-affected relative's attitude "You know, it just occurred to me that my wheelchair will actually make it easier for me to protest in the streets. and I can get away faster. Before the stroke I was hobbling around with my protest signs attached to my walker. So I'm ready to roll!" Perfect attitude, IMO.

Thread Information