Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ageing & Identity

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Neat set-up, Bae, for camping but what do you do when the tree support is unavailable or in your neck of the woods, so to speak, that does not happen?
    The places where I "hang out" (hammock pun) are completely tree-infested - the Pacific NW. One of the reasons I first tried the hammock is that the ground here tends to be lumpy, with lots of pointy things laying on the ground, and tons of critters crawling around on the forest floor :-)

I used the hammock once in Wyoming, where there were no trees in sight, but it was at a highway rest stop, and I strung it between two lamp posts in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

I used the hammock once in Wyoming, where there were no trees in sight, but it was at a highway rest stop, and I strung it between two lamp posts in the parking lot.
    My mom, who grew up in western Kansas, used to joke that the state tree was the telephone pole.

I am beginning to understand though why some folks as they become more "experienced" begin "camping" with trailers, and eventually motor homes.

I keep getting this passing fancy to get a very very small motorhome, like an old VW camper, and hit the road for a year long tour of America with my hound dog.

Bae I had thought of that....then I thought about bathrooms, baths, bugs and heat.....Nope!

I keep getting this passing fancy to get a very very small motorhome, like an old VW camper, and hit the road for a year long tour of America with my hound dog.
    Had this same dream about 5 years ago and then found from a number of increasingly discouraged regular campers about needing to book a site 3 months ahead, the increased cost of each site nowadays, the crowded conditions and said, "Things sure have changed from 20 years ago." The US may be very different.

DH and I used to throw an air mattress and sleeping bags in the back of the 1/2 ton truck with a high cap and go. We had a aluminum box with all the camping essentials always ready to go. He had the notion of wherever we had to fill up the gas tank, there we would stop and look for the nearest campground. Found some neat places that way. Glad that I had the experience then and simply relax now or take an organized tour where I have no responsibilities.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We like to stay at campgrounds so we have hookups but they have gotten expensive. Some times as much as a motel. You do need reservations and the price of gas is high. We only do travel with it within a 4 hour range of home. Last year we took a 4K/mile trip and it was cheaper to use our car and stay in a motel.

I've done enough hiking to realize my knees aren't in it, and I've slept in tents and under the stars. I'm with those who like comfort and indoor plumbing. The little roughing it I've done gave me real appreciation for my pioneer ancestors... Being in nature is always restorative--maybe "glamping" would be just the thing.

Thank you for the dose of reality about the modern state of RV/camper camping. I think I was channeling my childhood with the idea, y'all may have saved me a lot of $$$ and disappointment :-)

Thank you for the dose of reality about the modern state of RV/camper camping. I think I was channeling my childhood with the idea, y'all may have saved me a lot of $$$ and disappointment :-)
    Oh, I don't know about that. We still enjoy getting out and about in our motorhome. If I were you though, I'd look into the Sprinter conversions, we see a lot of those these days when we're out exploring the country.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. We still enjoy getting out and about in our motorhome. If I were you though, I'd look into the Sprinter conversions, we see a lot of those these days when we're out exploring the country.
    Those are what have given me the hankerin' - tons have been showing up here on the island driven by tourists (and similar conversions), and they look quite appealing and relatively untroublesome.

Thread Information