Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ageing & Identity

I am glad we only paid 14k for ours. We use it more as a second guest bedroom than camping. If you are looking at a Class B they won’t be such gas hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Those are what have given me the hankerin' - tons have been showing up here on the island driven by tourists (and similar conversions), and they look quite appealing and relatively untroublesome.
    My wife and I spent a cold, snowy weekend last winter watching YouTube videos of Sprinter owners showing off their digs. She still lusts after one built to our specs, I think they're a little too tight for extended travel for two but I think they'd be perfect for a solo.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We got a nice deal on a 2003 Minnie Winnie. I'm giving it a year to see how we really use it. So far I have one trip (3-4 days) a month planned. Trying to make it work with two high energy dogs...…. (we don't want to be "those people" that annoy the "other people")

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I still like sleeping in a tent -- glamping, that is, with a regular bed--that someone else sets up for one. Something about being outdoors with the scents and sounds moves me. I'd like to try Bae's camping hammock to see if it's comfy...well, not his, exactly, but one like it.

Our last camping trip found us with a leaky tent (should have sealed those seams, duh!) that funneled the water into our down bags which became waterlogged. It was less than delightful. We cut our trip short...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    We got a nice deal on a 2003 Minnie Winnie. I'm giving it a year to see how we really use it. So far I have one trip (3-4 days) a month planned. Trying to make it work with two high energy dogs...…. (we don't want to be "those people" that annoy the "other people")
    What do you think of the Minnie Winnie? We've been looking at them recently, considering replacing our Class 'C' motorhome with a Minnie Winnie model 2108DS and a diesel pickup or SUV to tow it. What do you use as a tow vehicle?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am turning 40 early next month. Intellectually I still feel 29. Physically I feel about 50.

But I suppose my identity is something like: "Middle aged, balding, overweight, divorced guy with a dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am turning 40 early next month. Intellectually I still feel 29. Physically I feel about 50.
    When I was turning 50, I physically felt like I was 75+. Didn't seem right. I got some good docs to check me out, found some underlying issues that were fortunately easily addressed. Now at 56, physically I feel like I am 30, except the day after doing Anything Really Serious. Then I feel 90 for about an hour the next day :-)

I am reconsidering the Sprinter thing now. The island is positively buried in them now that the tourist season is beginning. They must have become The Next Big Thing, and every millionaire Amazon/Microsoft employee is cluttering up our village and our roads with the BLEEEEP things.

Save us!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    When I was turning 50, I physically felt like I was 75+. Didn't seem right. I got some good docs to check me out, found some underlying issues that were fortunately easily addressed. Now at 56, physically I feel like I am 30, except the day after doing Anything Really Serious. Then I feel 90 for about an hour the next day :-)
    They inject you with T? I heard that makes you feel like a million bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    They inject you with T? I heard that makes you feel like a million bucks!
    Sleep apnea treated with CPAP. And for a while HRT because the apnea made my endocrine system shut down, I had a t-level of 80, which is basically what a healthy 17 year old female athlete has. Or a 99 year old man in bad shape. They had to do a lot of fiddling to reboot the system. (This is when they also discovered some of the genetic oddities I have, I had other hormonal issues due to that and my age.) Also, I had essentially no vitamin-D in my system.

It took about 2 days for the CPAP to produce a huge difference, and the hormone juggling took a year or so.

So, do not go gently into that good night, there may be real, fixable, underlying issues.

Thread Information