Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ageing & Identity

One of our quieter members, Gregg44, did a perfect job describing how I feel about camping. He said something along the lines that he worked really hard so his family would never have to live out of doors or in a tent, and he just didn't get the appeal of them playing at being homeless on vacation.
    I have never spent a single night in a tent and if all goes well, I never will.
    That said, I love the idea of silence and darkness, seeing only a million stars and hearing crickets or night peepers. But I don't quite love it enough to forego indoor plumbing.

Camping with small kids sucks and I only did it once. Once they grew up did some with a group of friends for a weekend at a time. 12 years ago bought the used RV with all the conveniences except the refrigerator quit working so we use coolers.

Gregís comments mirror my late fatherís. He always said Ďi camped out for a year and a half when i was in the army. That was enough.í When i was younger i enjoyed camping. I havent done it in probably 20 years but hiking a sizable section of the Pacific Crest Trail is something iíve been contemplating for a while now, which would obviously involve camping out again.

My camping comfort level has improved hugely the past couple of years - I have switched from sleeping bag/pad/tent or fly to a real camping/expedition hammock, with fly, underquilt for the hammock, and a sleeping "bag" without a bottom (basically a fancy quilt).

Sleeping in the hammock is more comfortable than sleeping in my nice bed at home. The underquilt keeps you from freezing - it hangs *under* the hammock, insultating the bottom of the hammock nicely. The fly can go up if you are expecting rain or heavy winds.

The hammock I use is this:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...c-and-add-ons/

Bae, I am now questioning your sanity)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Bae, I am now questioning your sanity)
    Well, when they send us out for wilderness searches, we are supposed to be equipped to be self-supporting for 3 days, and I'll be darned if I'm going to sleep on the cold cold hard ground :-) And my setup, stripped down a bit, is pretty light weight and takes little space in the pack. It's also great if you have a patient and need to keep them warm and sheltered.

Actually, I really admire the work you do. You also seem like a much kinder person since your wife left. I know it’s painful but I cannot help but wonder if you are happier. No need to answer that. Just a gut feeling.

Your deduction is correct :-)

I am happy for you. I was much happier once I left my verbally abusive ex although much poorer since he hid the 900k we had saved.

Neat set-up, Bae, for camping but what do you do when the tree support is unavailable or in your neck of the woods, so to speak, that does not happen?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Thread Information