Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biopsies

Biopsies

I had biopsies of both breasts done this morning. Apparently I have many cysts, and also quite a few areas of calcification. Now I wait... any suggestions for dealing with the uncertainty?

Yppej
    One reason the recommended frequency of mammograms has gone down, and other countries don't do them as often, is unnecessary medical procedures such as biopsies and their associated anxiety ordered after false positives. So you probably are fine.

All I can say is "hang in there". I have dense fibrocystic breasts. Started mammograms at age 33. 2y ago got a call-back for ultrasounds which took nearly 2h of "oh shit they found something". Nope, same ole' density/fibrocystic stuff as always.

It is totally scary every single year because the incidence of BC is 1:3. I completely understand. Hang in there.

Try to breathe and know that if it is bad, there is an excellent cure rate...that said, I had several biopsies in the same area for several years. I finally went to a surgeon and had that area lump removed....no more biopsies needed, but it was only in that one spot. We have 3D, color now available, so I think they are better at knowing what is calcification and what is benign. They do the call back all in the same session which helps!

I had a biopsy last month for the same reason, calcifications (which are being monitored every six months now). The fact that they said the area had changed significantly from last October to April helped me with the decision to go ahead with the biopsy, otherwise I would have worried all summer until the next mammogram. With all the other stuff I am going through medically lately, I decided to just get the biopsy over with while I have insurance to help pay for it. Luckily, everything is benign and I can go on about things. But I remember feeling pretty anxious while waiting for the results and falling into catastrophic thinking because this whole year has been pretty catastrophic to get through.

Deep breathe, and hang in there!

I went with the Scarlett O'Hara approach and it worked pretty well for me:

Scarlett: I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Try to breathe and know that if it is bad, there is an excellent cure rate...that said, I had several biopsies in the same area for several years. I finally went to a surgeon and had that area lump removed....no more biopsies needed, but it was only in that one spot. We have 3D, color now available, so I think they are better at knowing what is calcification and what is benign. They do the call back all in the same session which helps!
    That's a very helpful post nswef! There's so much that can be done, even if the biopsies are positive. But mschrisgo2.......try to think positive and that there have been so many advances in treatments and cures for stuff like this. Plus.....chances are just as good that they are benign! Keep us posted!

I had something similar and needed a ultrasound. I just assume it was nothing serious and it wasn’t. I don’t want to worry in advance. Sure hope it’s nothing.

I got my results this morning, all totally benign. Glad I didn’t worry too much. Thanks ladies!

Yppej
    Good!

Thread Information