Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human composting--something you'd do?

Human composting--something you'd do?

Washington becomes the first state to legalize composting of humans

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/22/us/wa...rnd/index.html

It's intriguing to me. I'm considering it.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We do "natural" (non-embalmed) burials here, which seems to go over well, but it's a real pain to comply with the law.

It sounds like the best solution to me.

Anything has to be better than being embalmed. I heard once about being inoculated with mushroom spores as a way to decompose. Composting sounds interesting. When you think of all that goes into embalming, then putting in a coffin, then into a big cement vault, just about anything else sounds better for the earth.

My kids keep saying they’re going to toss me in the bone yard. I’d be totally on board, but the law wouldn’t be.
    when my dad was diving his friends were under strict orders to be unable to recover the body if anything happened. He said he’d eaten so many crabs and fish that they deserved a turn to eat him.

I read about natural decomposition earlier and think it is the logical disposal method.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That or cremation. I don't want any remains to stay around longer than I was actually alive.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I think traditional burials are for the living relatives. I don't care what they do--whatever will make them happy.

I was curious to see how the composting worked--would they throw you in with a bunch of other humans? Would they throw in potato peels and grass clippings? What about carbon? You'd probably need a lot of sawdust and dead leaves to balance out all that decomposing nitrogen! But the basic premise is like cremation.

My opinion on that is it's a lot of time for your relatives to wait for the soil, and they would be paying for that time. So I'd rather just be cremated and add the ash to the garden. Or to Lake Champlain.

ETA: Link to an interesting exploration of burial: https://emergencemagazine.org/story/...Jr-MM-fHs_eI3A
    Last edited by catherine; 5-23-19 at 6:09pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You don't have to embalm in Missouri if burial is within a few days but I think I'm going for the ashes to ashes way out. Hate to take up space when my time here is so short.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Cremation for us.

Thread Information