Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And people wonder why the police arent trusted

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Of course not all police are bad but things have gotten out of hand. Cops need to act responsibly and it’s a very tough job that takes a toll on people. Many people are not suited for the position.
    TT, though it lies outside the realm of what I usually post in this area, I could not agree with your second sentence more. Not all people ARE suited for this position and I very strongly believe another area that I have not explored in my innumerable postings regarding law enforcement is better screening - to somehow find a way to better screen out the poor fits. My take is that if corporations can care about a potential employee's "cultural fit", should we as taxpayers not care about a new LEO's "cultural fit" for the duties/risks of the job to begin with? I believe you have hit on an extremely valid point here. Rob

Certainly not in a rural area and rescue is different than being a cop in a big city.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Bae, you live in a small rural community and the police are your friends. No comparison to big city living and you are white. If I was a minority I would be avoiding them like the plague.
    Plus about the number of the US National Debt. And I'd also add that it's wisest nowadays should you be Caucasian and living in a lower income area, avoid them just the same as wise minorities do. In lower income areas Caucasian no longer equals protection from what US police have sunk to. OTOH, a sad fact. OTOH, such may inspire enough rage to start the ardous (sp?) process for real change. For all of us, skin color being COMPLETELY irrelevant. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 5-27-19 at 9:50am. Reason: made my meaning clearer by adding one word

They do care about screening and use a personality test to try to weed out psychopaths. However, some very MI people can pass. It’s a multi layer rigorous process to be a cop. I also think some start out great but get jaded by the things that they see and try to hang in their for the pension.

I also think some start out great but get jaded by the things that they see and try to hang in their for the pension.
    I've been involved in law enforcement training for decades. I have noticed a trend of good people becoming burned out by the job, from interacting every day with unpleasant people and working in stressful situations. My purely-anecdotal observation is that I think they become conditioned to view every interaction from a negative point of view for self-protection, and this sours their relationships with their family, friends, and non-criminal civilians. Probably contributes to their suicide rate and overall health issues too.

I'm not sure hanging on for the pension is why the burn-outs continue on though.

I totally agree Bae. Home disturbances are the worst because you never know where someone is hiding in the house to attack you.

I totally agree Bae. Home disturbances are the worst because you never know where someone is hiding in the house to attack you.
    Yes. I go on medical emergency calls into homes with some frequency, and often there is a deputy or two there to assist in management of the scene, and it's quite stressful for all. (I still have nightmares about a couple of these, seriously. The funniest such event involved several very large and aggressive parrots being set loose to attack us - it was like a scene from The Birds. Nasty flying dinosaurs with vicious beaks and claws. I am *not* kidding - we had injuries from the attack, and this was in a domestic violence situation that already had injured people and blood all over the place. The Killer Parrots just pushed it over the top.)

Now, when I encounter stress or horror on the job, we have a great and mandatory counseling program in place to help. I'm not sure the law enforcement types do, their culture is more "cowboy up and deal with it yourself".

The counseling is great. Home visits are the reason I quit being a social worker and went back to graduate school. They would send in a social worker alone and wouldn’t even pay for 2 to go together. When a client brutally raped and murdered a co-worker I was done. I had 3 small children at home. My other 3 co-workers also left the field.

Bae: It's so easy to say the color of your skin doesn't matter when you are white. I think black Americans might have a different take.

On the flip side I find it very disheartening to be called to a crime scene to assist and be treated like sh*t. The assumption is that I'm there to somehow judge or treat them in a negative way. It couldn't be further from the truth. I'm there because I want to serve anyone in need regardless of who they are or how they got there. If the officers didn't care about their well being they wouldn't have called me in the first place. Are there bad cops - yes. There can be bad people in all sensitive professions. When they are flushed out the individuals should be held accountable. By and large most officers I know are good ones and they don't like or associate with the bad. That causes a lot of tension in the ranks. The profession has changed a lot in the past several years and it is very difficult to go out everyday and be faced with negativity when you as an individual have done nothing to deserve it. One of the biggest reasons we steered our son into Fire instead of Police. Everybody loves a fireman.

Thread Information