Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And people wonder why the police arent trusted

Why would anyone treat you bad? What’s your role at the crime scene?

It is generally to assist the victims/survivors during the initial investigation and for a time after. Often in the case of a cultural difference it can be a delicate situation in that there is an assumption of judgement and automatic distrust. They don't want to talk to anybody they feel is police related (we aren't but do get requested by them as well as by the fire department) and at the same time feel like they aren't being respected. I don't take it personal but it is frustrating when the blanket of distrust covers everyone, fair or not.

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense. Really nice of you to do this volunteer work.

There have always been bad cops. Not all cops. Not all supervisors. Not all departments. But there has been an increase in the bean-counter mentality in supervision where the higher numbers your people rack up the better supervisor you are seen to be. So the emphasis is on NOT taking the time to treat folks like human beings, but like numbers on a tally sheet. Very bad. (One of the reasons many good cops are retiring as fast as they can get out. They did not sign up for that kind of policing...they actually wanted to work WITH people and that takes more time. I've met many officers who were chastised and given lower evaluations for concentrating on quality work, not sheer numbers.)

What is needed, of course is accountability. Yes, body cams are a pain. But needed. Those that refuse to be held accountable (turn off their cam) should be punished if nothing is found malfuntioning; and bounced from their positions of public trust if they have a pattern of abuse of trust. Quickly. So trust can be rebuilt. Supervisors must be forced to look beyond the "keeping score" mentality and the callousbness it encourages.

Law enforcement is not a sport. It is life at its most critical and vulnerable.

I used to get asked constantly "what do I do when a cop stops me?" Of course, I answered that on the street level, it did not pay to resist/refuse/disobey. Even talking back could get you hurt or killed if the cop is bad. Just do what he says, quickly & quietly; answer his questions, don't argue. Take mental notes, though, and let a lawyer even things up if he was criminally wrong. Lawyers are the ones to fight legal battles, not the man on the street.

So even if the cop is WRONG, bide your time and go with the flow. You can always fight it later, in safety, in court.
    Document what seems odd or fishy (write it down as soon as you can discreetly do so) so you can file a coherent report on odd behavior. If the officer/official has a pattern of misbehavior it is much easier to terminate him than if all there are is vague accusations. And if his supervisor does nothing, you have ammunition to fight up the legal ladder. Think like a lawyer, fight like one too. "Trust, but verify"...and take mental notes.

Kappy, totally agree that compliance is the only way to come out of it alive. You can fight back later if necessary.

I agree about compliance. Unfortunately some cops turn it into a horrible game of simon says.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...outputType=amp

Thread Information