Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico at least Algodones, still the same.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Mexico at least Algodones, still the same.....

I've just returned from just under a week in Los Algodones, Mexico. One thing I am glad to report is that I have noticed no hostilities to Americans - it's true that Los Algodones exists to cater to Americans and Canadians for dental and optical and now even veterinary - but I've been afraid that attitudes towards Americans may have changed due to Trump and his inability to respect Mexico for the safety valve that it is. I needn't have worried - things on the surface at least seem to remain the same. Rob

I would hope that most Mexicans realize most of us hate trump as much as they do.

Fascinating - Canadians, with their world-class universal health care system, fleeing to Mexico to access medical care.

https://cusjc.ca/catalyst/project/me...-abroad-draft/

Why is Mexico's health care system so inexpensive and superior?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ... I've been afraid that attitudes towards Americans may have changed due to Trump and his inability to respect Mexico for the safety valve that it is.
    I'm trying to imagine the world in which a strong part of the proud Mexican national identity is "we're the safety valve for America", and it's just not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm trying to imagine the world in which a strong part of the proud Mexican national identity is "we're the safety valve for America", and it's just not happening.
    I don't know that such should be part of the Mexican identity, bae........it's just an unfortunate fact for many Americans. Thank overpriced health care and vastly unequal distribution of wealth in the US for that, and it's not going away any time soon that I can see.........Rob

Wealth distribution is worse in Mexico as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    True that, TT, and no snark in this comment, ok? I never said otherwise - yes, there are definite issues with wealth distribution in Mexico. Granted and no denial on my part. My point is that were this the country we once lived in with a strong middle class that had a ladder to climb if upward movement were the goal - I would be much less likely to be in Los Algodones to begin with as what dental work cost in the US would not force me to flee - financially, morally, and ethically. Rob

It’s really sad what is happening to the middle class. My 84 year old neighbor used to live alone in her 800 sq ft home that they bought 54 years ago. Her adult kids all have jobs. About 4 years ago her adult son with a small child moved in because rent was too much. Then his 50 year old MI sister could no longer work and she moved in 2 years ago. She cares for the little girl while he works. Then a year ago the niece who has a full time job moves in for same reason. They all share one old car. Our bus system is not very good. They cook on the grill most nights year round. I have not seen one cell phone among them. A 2 bedroom apartment here starts at 1600. They are all frugal. Great neighbors and probably not capable of schooling to improve jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    And wealth distribution is even worse in Mexico when factoring in rich Americans who cross the border for health procedures that they find inexpensive, but the average Mexican cannot access those same procedures because it is way overpriced for the average Mexican.

are rich A,ericans driving ip the cost of, for instance, dental procedures, making them out of scope for residents of the country where they take place? The capitalist based market in Mexico sets the prices, and those who cannot afford them be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And wealth distribution is even worse in Mexico when factoring in rich Americans who cross the border for health procedures that they find inexpensive, but the average Mexican cannot access because it is way overpriced for the average Mexican.
    But, but, "safety valve" for white privileged Americans and Canadians.

At least the average Mexican lives in a land that respects the rule of law, and they don't have to worry about being "disappeared"....

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/01/15/...r-disappeared#

Thread Information