Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food as medicine article

Food as medicine article

Thought that this was interesting reading. If it can be done in Newfoundland, it is possible anywhere.
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/f...ting-1.5135939
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    There are many healthy people who eat meat. What they do not eat are processed foods, sugars and artificial sweeteners. I love the statement paleo and Keto diets have no long term studies. Yes they do. All of the years befor our pantries were full of granola bars, refined cereals, chips and cookies full of chemicals unhealthy fats and sugars. . And our streets were full of fast food.
    Get the processed and chemical laden junk out of your diet and you will be healthier and thinner. Not to say Keto is necessarily the way to go, but start with processed carbs and sugar.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I definitely want to reduce the amount of pre-processed foods that we have here at home. I definitely need to start finding, trying and saving more recipes for things like beans and grains. Don't know if I will totally stop eating meat - we mainly eat poultry - but I know we do need to increase the amount of veggies.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Food can definitely kill or cure, but I'm tired of having "plant-based" and veganism pushed at me. Everything we eat is "plant-based" if it comes to that. As Ron Swanson would say "That's the food that my food eats." (Which makes me sound like a committed carnivore, which I am not.) Meat and fat-based diets have been shown to have remarkable curative properties; they're nutrient-rich, providing everything the human body needs. I have no problems with adults following vegan diets. as long as they do it without proselytizing or limiting others' choices.

I think that what I took away from the article is the option of taking medicines that have acknowledged side effects OR adjusting your diet for many of the common health issues that have a diet-based cause.
    I didn't get the "pushing" of plant-based foods per se but "try this and see if it helps with your serious health condition that you have asked me to treat."
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I think that what I took away from the article is the option of taking medicines that have acknowledged side effects OR adjusting your diet for many of the common health issues that have a diet-based cause.
    I didn't get the "pushing" of plant-based foods per se but "try this and see if it helps with your serious health condition that you have asked me to treat."
    I'm definitely in the camp of "try anything and everything before you resort to pharmaceuticals," but there are many dietary approaches to wellness, and that is rarely emphasized.

My take-away was that I just have to try rice paper "bacon!"

I switched over to a plant based vegan type diet about three years ago. Just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthy. When you completely change your cooking and eating habits it takes some practice and experimentation. Every day there are new "plant based" substitutes on the shelves and a lot of them load up with salt and various degrees of processing. Although it gets back to what exactly is processed and how healthy is it. Technically I suppose when I put broccoli into a blender it becomes processed, so "processed" may not always be bad. I have a vegan friend who says when she gets asked, where do you get your protein she responds, where do you get your fiber.

I think most Americans who have been regimented with meat would have better luck converting to a Mediterranean diet. That's what a lot of the health experts say is one of the healthiest and is not some sort of new fad that comes and goes. But there is also a good argument for a vegan diet for those willing to give it a try. There are also issues around animal cruelty and the environment, aside from health. Fact is our traditional western diet is not that healthy. Finding a health eating regime a person can stick with day in and out is probably the most important thing, regardless of the details. The Harvard School of Medicine and Mayo Clinic are trusted sources for me and have diet recommendations.

And I can hardly wait to find rice paper that tastes like bacon.

I thought this was an interesting article and points out some of the difficulties in studying diet and health.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ancer-and-diet
    Last edited by Rogar; 5-26-19 at 8:58am.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    My take-away was that I just have to try rice paper "bacon!"
    Definitely my take-away as well! LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

There's an interesting background story on the Mediterranean Diet in Nina Teicholz' The Big Fat Surprise--apparently its originator, Ancel Keys, came up with it so he could hold conferences in places like Italy and the south of France. And the diet he devised has little basis in fact--but really, any varied (or not) whole foods diet that you enjoy will do the trick.

As I discovered during my seven years as a vegetarian, it's hard to eat anything at all if you think too hard about animal cruelty--millions of small animals and birds are killed (with habitat destruction, as well) as a result of mechanized farming and monocrops, like soy. The best we can do is the Polyface Farms model, probably.

Thread Information