Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Defense of Minimalism

Her BIL can barely function let alone sue for what he left.

Catherine, when I finished college and dumped some stuff at home before heading to Memphis for a job. I thought my stuff was safe. Mom thought I left bags of garbage since there were garbage bags in my old bedroom (college style packing). She tossed them. I got pissed because it was all my camping/backpacking gear. Then I realized my fault. I apologized. I never packed in garbage bags again. Expensive lesson but one I learned and didn't blame.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Catherine, when I finished college and dumped some stuff at home before heading to Memphis for a job. I thought my stuff was safe. Mom thought I left bags of garbage since there were garbage bags in my old bedroom (college style packing). She tossed them. I got pissed because it was all my camping/backpacking gear. Then I realized my fault. I apologized. I never packed in garbage bags again. Expensive lesson but one I learned and didn't blame.
    That's why I like transparent leaf bags for everything but garbage. I fill them with clothing to take to the thrifts, etc.

Well, I got through that day. My son and DD's bf packed up the furniture for VT into the truck, and they also packed a few things I hadn't been expecting: a really nice metal/wood workbench that DH got at a garage sale ages ago.. there was a moment when it seemed that DS would have liked to have kept it and he asked bf if he was really going to use it, but he didn't insist on keeping it--he just let it go. The old dresser my VT son wanted went into the truck, and the Ethan Allen fancy settee went in there, too! (That was DD's idea. I really don't want it in the house, but she said it's worth a try because it's a good, comfortable couch, and if I don't want it, she's going to put it in her studio.). They also took a modern little sofa that was DH's--we were going to Freecycle or trash it, so I'm happy it's all going to get some use in VT. All the furniture is gone from the upstairs so now I can concentrate on bagging stuff for Goodwill and packing the clothes we'll need (and boxing BIL's stuff).

Our garage has gone from looking like one of the fire-trap barns you see on American Pickers to a space that's nearly empty now. It's amazing.

As far as the inadvertent give aways and sales, we're past that. I really appreciate everyone's support on this--I guess my gut feel is that people deserve a heads-up if what they expected to be here is removed. After that, it's fair game. In this situation, DH really did mistakenly sell the audio equipment--but not a big deal. You can find used components easily online.

As far as the jewelry, it was actually DD's bf that had stashed it. Float On, you are so right--I ALWAYS label garbage bags (VVA, Goodwill, etc.) with a big piece of paper and a thick marker because it's so obvious that they can be thrown away accidentally. DD was really upset with her bf for a short time, but she didn't even know what was in that box. So I said to her, "If you don't even know what something is, how can you miss it?" As someone who has literally lost diamonds AND had some stolen and wasn't even that upset about it, I am not at all worried about what might have gone to Goodwill. IMHO, jewelry has no intrinsic value.

So I feel better this morning. Thanks again!

To go back to the original title of the post, I really, really am going to work on living the rest of my life as minimally as possible. I am still mad at myself for letting all this junk get so out of hand.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Glad things are going so well. Moving is definitely stressful and doesn’t bring out the best in people. You are making awesome progress.

It must be a big relief to have the furniture sorted and moved. I hope you can stick to what feels and looks comfortable to you.
    Now for the rest... be ruthless! If you cant remember the last time you used something, you likely don't need it. Toss it now.

It is sad how excited people get over someone else's belongings and how they dispose of them. Our local coroner told us it was sad to see folks fighting over the possessions of people who had passed on, but not wanting to take responsibility for the burial of the person! A sad commentary on our material society. I am proud to have told my parents that they should spend as much of their money as he wanted while they were able to enjoy it (traveling, etc) instead of earmarking it for us children. Even prouder that ALL my sibs told them the same thing!
    None of is in need, all able to care for themselves. They had a great time before Mom passed; and I know he goes where he wants and does what he wants still. He earned it...I hope he spends every cent.

Update: We are 2 days and counting. We have filled a 10 x 20 dumpster (see picture--it will probably give Ultralight a psychic meltdown). I have brought two truckloads to Goodwill and had two visits from the Vietnam Vets. I brought 10 cartons of books to the library. I Freecycled, Craigslisted, posted on my neighborhood website to give things away, gave things to kids and SOs. We've had weekly visits from the local junk collectors, and we now are on a first name basis with them. We still have to bring a truckload of electronics to the electronics recycling place, and I still have to bring food to the Food Bank and I still probably have 3 contractor bags of clothing to go to VVA.

Who knew that I had SO MUCH CRAP???? I guess I hid it well, but every time I thought I was done, I wasn't. I've been walking around the house with a laundry basket and scooping up stuff and throwing it in the dumpster which is due to depart any minute. I still have furniture to move into the garage (antiques that I'm not ready to give up yet.)

We put a crib out on the curb (my DIL left it here years ago) and a couple of women came and took that as well as a bunch of stuff to furnish their apartment and I gave them my wedding china, too. As DH said, it's nice to put a face on the people who will be the next owners of my memories.

I am so glad I'm doing this now. Could you imagine if DH and I spent 20 more years here??? I'm already feeling like one of those Hoarder episodes.

But it truly feels cleansing, and empowering. Yet, there is still much to do.

IMG_0072.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Great job Catherine! I think if you never move and have space the tendency is to ignore it. Fortune we have had to move across country enough that it never got that bad.

Catherine rah rah catherine rah rah!

Thread Information