Thread: Vegetables in a plastic bag

Vegetables in a plastic bag

Last week I bought a sack of cleaned and ready to cook green beans in a bag. I was apprehensive because years ago I purchased lettuce greens in a bag and they tasted like crap, they tasted like the plastic bag they were in. And I’ll never do that again. These green beans were quite decent.

What is your experience with cleaning, ready to cook Vegetables in a bag from the grocery store?

I have tried fresh veggies prepped and in a bag and found them browning or old so gave up. To be fair that was some time ago so things may have improved a lot since then.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I use them pretty regularly. They don't last super long after purchase, but I usually use them within a week of purchase. I find them useful when I don't have a lot of energy or strength to chop things, but I want fresh veggies. I find the prepped green beans are quite good at the stores I frequent.
    Mrs. Hermit

I see frozen vegetables that are in plastic bags that you are supposed to microwave. That makes me VERY nervous. Hazardous to your health????

I've used them. They're convenient but the price is so much higher than the un-prepped veggies and I'm good enough with a knife to make quick work of prep, so I tend not to buy them. Plus I try not to buy vegetables prepackaged; I like to select them myself. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I see frozen vegetables that are in plastic bags that you are supposed to microwave. That makes me VERY nervous. Hazardous to your health????
    Maybe. Then again, so probably is the blood pressure medicine I'm taking, the fumes my car produces in the garage until it warms up, ... I'm better off eating the veggies even cooked that way than not eating vegetables (or relegating myself to what's available fresh and local during our long winters). Actually, I prefer to buy frozen vegetables in poly bags because I can recycle those; I can't recycle the ones in which vegetables are microwaved.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

i buy prepped veggies regularly and have never noticed an odd taste. I do check carefully to be sure there is no spoiling started. DH and I can finish off 3# broccoli, 2# cauliflower and 2# carrots in 2 weeks. They rarely spoil in less time than that.

I've not seen veggies that are to be microwaved.

I do buy frozen organic corn, peas and green beans.

I’ve read articles that say that they last longer often because the air in the bag slows them from decaying. Supposedly this lowers the environmental impact of the whole food chain since less food has to be grown, transported, thrown away. I have no reason to doubt this but it certainly seems counterintuitive.

Not a bag, but I do buy the huge plastic boxes of spinach from Costco. I hate buying the plastic but it is very hard to find separate heads of spinach anymore.

Thread Information