Thread: Dehydrating apples, etc.

Dehydrating apples, etc.

Apples are now running about .50 a pound at my store and I got $3 worth. Just filled a quart and two pint jars with dried apples and hope to get two more rounds done on my dehydrator. I tend to now dry more foods than can. Seeing all the filled canning jars lining the pantry shelf is such a satisfying feeling. I love the fall for the chance to get the pantry stocked with these type foods. anyone else?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Williamsmith
    My grand mother taught me to can foods in Mason jars. She had the huge victory garden. I also learned how to make jelly from the grapes on the vine. I miss the days when I used to carry all the jars downstairs and arrange them on the shelving for her. I guess today you just drive to the grocery store and buy what you need. I sort of miss the creative part of food preparation. Ripping open a box or twisting open a jar doesn’t do anything for a person. Taking a glass jar out from a pantry months after it was put there excites your memory of how it was made. Twisting off the ring and listening to its metallic chime as you flip it on the counter top. Prying the lid off maybe with your fingertips and smelling the contents takes you back to when you were boiling and cooking it. Yes I love the idea of canning.

Beautifully put, Williamsmith. When I did canning, I used to love to hear the "ping" as the jars were cooling. Don't get that with the dehydrating, but love seeing the rows of jars in the pantry just the same.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information