Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What to eat when you don't feel like cooking

Corn chips and salsa.
    Fruit. Sometimes dark chocolate covered dried fruit (or ginger).

I usually have frozen chickpeas and/or brown rice on hand: both are very good mixed with salsa also.

Lunch at work (where I have minimal time and am often working straight through) is generally hummus on wholewheat toast with a tomato or two. Maybe some cucumber or sprouts if I have them.

I generally have a can or two of soup and a can of chickpeas/baked beans on hand for really rushed weeknights.
    I make extensive use of frozen vegetables during the week, so almost all my weeknight meals have minimal prep time and take no more time than 1/2 hour from opening the cupboard to sitting down to eat.

Toast has been taking on an appeal to me. Something I ate when i was young, but haven't so much lately. I like the hearty whole grain kind by itself with butter and a cup of tea when I'm just not up to making a damn thing and just need something. But toast is also great to add to, and then it can be other kinds of breads too. Tomato sauce and cheese. Toasted cheese. Rarebit. A poached or scrambled egg on top. or a fried egg sandwich takes only a few minutes .Avocado slices. Peanut butter. Cashew butter. Cream cheese. Hummus. Nutella if you care for it...(to me it tastes like cake frosting from a jar!) honey and butter. Jam. Cinnamon and sugar. Soft cheese and sundried tomatoes or pesto if you have an open jar. Toast with melted bleu cheese. toast and artichoke dip. white bean dip. baked beans, marmi Toast made with broiled tomatoe slices and some presh parm , "gentleman's butter" . Home made cheese spread made with cream cheese, shredded hard cheese, some herbs and spices and chopped toasted walnuts. all sorts of things. I'm learning to rediscover toast.

I generally have cold cuts--a meat and cheese plate with olives or nuts or (lately) artichoke tapenade. Maybe deviled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I generally have cold cuts--a meat and cheese plate with olives or nuts or (lately) artichoke tapenade. Maybe deviled eggs.
    I do something like that when I have a really good cheese and good meats. Olives. Crackers, Hummus. cut up veggies.

Also Guacamole is fast and healthy and tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Also Guacamole is fast and healthy and tasty.
    And a good source of potassium, too!

Toast and cheese and apple.

Toasted peanut butter sandwich.

Has to be toasted because I use the Loblaws' ancient grains bread that can't be left bagged on the counter for more than 2 days because it will odds-on start growing mold...as I don't use it that fast, it goes sliced into the freezer, for thawing in the toaster as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Toast has been taking on an appeal to me. Something I ate when i was young, but haven't so much lately. I like the hearty whole grain kind by itself with butter and a cup of tea when I'm just not up to making a damn thing and just need something. But toast is also great to add to, and then it can be other kinds of breads too. Tomato sauce and cheese. Toasted cheese. Rarebit. A poached or scrambled egg on top. or a fried egg sandwich takes only a few minutes .Avocado slices. Peanut butter. Cashew butter. Cream cheese. Hummus. Nutella if you care for it...(to me it tastes like cake frosting from a jar!) honey and butter. Jam. Cinnamon and sugar. Soft cheese and sundried tomatoes or pesto if you have an open jar. Toast with melted bleu cheese. toast and artichoke dip. white bean dip. baked beans, marmi Toast made with broiled tomatoe slices and some presh parm , "gentleman's butter" . Home made cheese spread made with cream cheese, shredded hard cheese, some herbs and spices and chopped toasted walnuts. all sorts of things. I'm learning to rediscover toast.
    Apparently toast is really a big thing now. I know our local power coffee shop (coffees, power milkshakes, and protein toast) is really busy on Saturdays with all the long distance bike riders stopping by for toast and milkshake.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Pesto pita pizza. Spread pesto on whole wheat pita top with feta, olives etc and pop into toaster oven.
    Baked or microwaved potato topped with canned veggie chili and some shredded cheese. If I have some plain lowfat yogurt I'll throw that on too in place of sour cream. Can also add salsa and cilantro if you have it on hand.
    Nachos made with tortills chips, canned refried beans and homemade canned salsa. Throw in some avocado slices if available and some plain lowfat yogurt.
    If I have some leftover cooked pasta I'll add a TB of butter and sprinkle on some garlic powder, parmesan cheese and italian herb blend and microwave for a minute and mix.
    Fruit salad, we always have a few different fruits on hand.

Thread Information