Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What to eat when you don't feel like cooking

I sadly stand in front of cupboard and munch, if I do not plan. Crackers and whatever seem to over take me and better hop no chocolate chip cookies are in the jar.

I rarely feel like cooking , but one has to do what one has to do. I fantasize about living somewhere like New York, where ethnic restaurants deliver...
    That said, I had deviled eggs, cold bacon, herbed cheese, and olives for breakfast.

Ok being honest here, two weeks ago and this is very simple living for me as it is only my husband I cook for, one serving at a time when he is back from work travel. I do not eat the same food as him. I started getting him take out 5 nights a week. This is good healthy food from a cool little order out place. I order online and pick it up on my bike route. Cost wise it is very economical for one. This week was Duck and Morrell on a lovely rice, Skirt steak dinner, Roast. I feel lazy but it is so simple.

They do not do vegetarian but salads so I do not order for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Ok being honest here, two weeks ago and this is very simple living for me as it is only my husband I cook for, one serving at a time when he is back from work travel. I do not eat the same food as him. I started getting him take out 5 nights a week. This is good healthy food from a cool little order out place. I order online and pick it up on my bike route. Cost wise it is very economical for one. This week was Duck and Morrell on a lovely rice, Skirt steak dinner, Roast. I feel lazy but it is so simple.

They do not do vegetarian but salads so I do not order for myself.
    I think that if it works for you, that's great. Having one meat eater and one vegetarian is a complicating factor in meal planning. I have almost given up on my own vegetarianism because of it, although I'll try to only eat humanely raised poultry and beef. DH is not on the same page with this, and feels that paying premium prices for local meat providers whose animals have good quality of life is a waste of money. I try to explain that if you are eating consciously chances are a lot of money is being freed up for grassfed/free-range whatever, but it doesn't compute.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

cheese

Catherine, I have a long list of vegetarian meals that dh considers "a good side dish". I pair them with a pork chop, chicken breast, or hamburger and he is happy.

Yppej
    It is rare for me to spend more than 5 or 10 minutes making something to eat. Eggs are my morning staple, scrambled with something else. After that salad preferably made with precut greens, soup, vegetarian deli items, stir fries of vegetables with or without quinoa or rice, yogurt, nuts, baked potatoes with chives (I do other things while they are cooking), cottage cheese, pizza as a treat, vegetarian frozen microwaveable foods - Amy's pot pies, eggplant parmesan, plantains. In the winter when it's cold out I spend more time because I Iike the heat of the oven, but still keep it simple with things like hash browns on a cookie sheet, or beets roasted in olive oil, or stew whole canned tomatoes on the stovetop with herbs. I only eat candy and desserts at work or visiting my parents.

I like eggs scrambled with peppers and any seasonal vegetables available here (S.E. PA) Chili Beans with a little seasoning and leftovers throw in too. I second the suggestion of hummus with pita bread. It's good with tomatos, cucumbers and onions added.

Tonight we had my go-to "fancy" salad for dinner: lettuce, strawberries, beets, walnuts, goat cheese and blood orange olive oil. The olive oil is a wonderful thing in itself, by the way. DH actually had requested this because the strawberries are in season and so delicious lately.

I've started buying the spicy black bean burgers from Morningstar Farms. I don't generally buy a pre-packaged foods, but these are tasty, easy to prepare and weight-watcher's friendly.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information