Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning my house for 1000 visitors

Cleaning my house for 1000 visitors

I’ve been cleaning and organizing our downstairs for the house tour next weekend where at least 1000 people will come through. We sell 2000 tickets every year so it may be more than 1000 to come to our house, I don’t know.Not all who buy tickets see all the houses on the tour.

We did a decent winter cleanup job because every year we clean the chandelier, baseboards, chair rail in January or February. We do touch up of paint.But I didn’t paint the heat registers and they look bad, but oh well. I have a zillion things to do and painting the heat registers will not get on that list.

I needed a minimum of one more big load of mulch in my garden (that is 1 truckload, 22 5 gallon buckets) and I’m not sure if that’s gonna get done either but since they are only a few weeds It will be fine regardless.

I’m walking around looking for cobwebs and I’m looking for areas that need dusted that tall people will see. Normally for dusting I take the attitude that if I don’t see it it doesn’t matter! Ha ha

That kind of tour would intimidate me so hope the fundraiser succeeds with your valuable help and viewing. Can you share some pics of what those coming through might see or rather would you please share?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    That kind of tour would intimidate me so hope the fundraiser succeeds with your valuable help and viewing. Can you share some pics of what those coming through might see or rather would you please share?
    I am having a professional photographer come Monday morning after that house tour because our house will never look as good again, so I wanted it to be photographed with all of the flower arrangements I am making. You had better believe I will share them you know me always putting up photos of an upside down whatever.

Many people will skip our house because it’s on the small side and they may not think it’s very interesting, and maybe it’s not very interesting!

The last holiday tour I worked, the smaller house was everyone’s favorite because it had very clean Christmas decor, clean simple but bold and effective.

We have had our garden on tour many times but at the most Maybe 200 people come through the garden.

This is our neighborhoods major fundraiser and it usually nets $35, 000-$50,000.

I think it’s great you are doing this. Can’t wait to see the pictures. How big is your house?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think it’s great you are doing this. Can’t wait to see the pictures. How big is your house?
    1900 sq ft, but only the first floor, patio, and garden are open.

OMG... I would totally be freaked out! 1000 people!!!!!!

I have had to assert my position as Director of Aesthetics for our home because DH doesn’t seem to have eyes. You know, those things that you see with that are in your head? Yeah he doesnt seem to have those.

I asked him to clean out his stuff from the living room so that I could clean the floor and start arranging things in their final set up. He left behind a dirty 5 gallon bucket full of wood by the fireplace. I’m not sure in what universe that is considered an attractive item.

And then there are these rusty remnants of ornamental Iron hanging on our wood fence for years. DH and I go back-and-forth about getting rid of them. I want to get rid of them he wants to paint them gaudy colors so I just drop the conversation because I guess I would rather have them there, rusty, than painted circus colors. I’m going to remove them for the house tour, they will be stored in the garage.

Wow! I like going on house tours, but wouldn't want to be the stop on one - lol. Good luck and have fun!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It sounds like a monumental undertaking: I hope you make pots of money for your neighborhood!

Thread Information