Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job!

New Job!

Several months ago a competitor reached out to me about a potential job opportunity. It seemed like a great opportunity (I reached out to a number of industry contacts and got nothing but great feedback about both the company and my new boss) and a chance to escape some of the downsides of working for a mega-corp. Finally last week they made a generous offer, and yesterday I was informed that I passed the background check. So I gave 2 weeks notice to my now former employer. As is the custom in my industry, and others I imagine, my final day was today. Or more precisely my final 2 hours were this morning, less than 24 hours after I'd submitted my resignation.

Now I have 2 1/2 weeks of no commitments before my June 17th start date at my new job and a paycheck for 2 weeks plus 21.5 accrued PTO days hitting my bank account in a week. An unimaginable luxury which I've never experienced before. I've been piecing together a relatively unstructured road trip all afternoon. First stop, The Cat House on the Kings, a massive no kill cat sanctuary in the central valley that a dear friend has supported for many years. (he's driving up from LA to meet me there. And he bought the value pack of kitty treats at Costco tonight so all the cats are going to love us!) After that, who knows... I'm afraid the hard part of this whole adventure will be coming home in time to be at work on the 17th.

Sounds great!

SoYou are going to go play with a complex full of cats? That would be fun.

Then I guess you can come back here and spend a lot of time on this website harassing us Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    SoYou are going to go play with a complex full of cats? That would be fun.

Then I guess you can come back here and spend a lot of time on this website harassing us Republicans.
    Pretty kuch. Hopefully there will be enough time between going to play with the homeless kitties and my return home that our cats don’t figure out that i was cheating on them!

Yppej
    I love animal sanctuaries. It's nice getting a break from humans. Enjoy!

Congratulations! Enjoy your 2-week hiatus!

Thanks for sharing your good fortune!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The Cat House on the Kings has always looked like heaven to me--enjoy your time there--And congratulations on your new gig!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Enjoy the YOU time......amazing to me how employers will fire your quickly if you have the gall to put in your two weeks notice these days......glad you have money put away so that this is no crisis for you but a thing of relaxation and fun. Best wishes with the new job, btw, jp1. Rob

Honestly it makes sense that an insurance company would send someone home after they give notice. A devious underwriter could inflict harm in the millions of dollars. Even if I stayed technically within my authority, and thus protected in the event that they sued me I could still put stupid policies on the books. I had authority to quote policies with $10M limits. It's a lot cheaper to pay me for two weeks of not being there. And frankly I'd rather be doing other things during these two weeks! Like going to the Marin headlands for a hike this morning since they are way to crowded on weekends.

Thread Information