Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej

June Frugals

I spent almost $1,000.00 on car maintenance today. In years past I bought a new vehicle when the one I had approached 100,000 miles, so this is a new approach for me. I did comparison shop, use coupons, and have some of the work done in New Hampshire to avoid sales tax. Still, it will put me over budget for the month I am sure.

We usually get rid of cars around 200k/miles if repairs are 3k or more.

Had a great grocery shopping trip today.

Found my favourite Kraft salad dressing (oregano and feta) on half price with a loyalty card, the same with BBQ sauce which I mix with baked beans and locally made wieners,

- almonds and dried cranberries which I needed and keep on hand to make my mini-muffins and stir-fries were on sale with added loyalty discount

-beautiful cremini mushrooms were on sale and then discounted 30% as was Emmentaler cheese which I rarely buy unless on sale.

Sometimes really good sales align with the need to buy them as they did today on a number of items. I went in for some vinegar for the laundry and came out with the specially-priced items that I needed.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've had 3 things I wish to buy. An ottoman to go in front of my rocking chair, a very small side table, and a garden bench.
    Found the ottoman at a used furniture store for $15 because someone had bought the chair and did not want the ottoman.
    Appearance is 90% new...……..

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

Sometimes really good sales align with the need to buy them as they did today on a number of items. I went in for some vinegar for the laundry and came out with the specially-priced items that I needed.

I love when that happens. I was just pining over the fact that we're dumpstering an Ethan Allen chair upholstered in Sturbridge plaid that I found at a consignment shop years ago, but what was serendipitous about that was two things: a) It matched the Sturbridge plaid curtains I had just purchased and b) it matched the Ethan Allen dining collection that I inherited from my mother--she had bought it in the early 70s, and it's still as sturdy as a rock. Honestly, I can't recommend Ethan Allen highly enough for furniture that lasts for generations. The only reason we're throwing the chair away is because it was DH's "Archie Bunker" chair and it would be almost impossible to get as clean as it should be unless I reupholster it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love the Ethan Allen Room Plan Units they made to mix and match. We have them in several rooms and furnished my mother in laws apartment with the ones I had in the basement. They are now super cheap and pretty easy to find if you keep an eye out. Solid wood, never wear out, not too much decoration.

NOT this month. We're having the exterior of our home painted. All new gutters-the 31yo can't be repaired anymore. We're finishing a new 1/2 bath at the cabin and will owe the plumber the remaining 50% when he finishes in a few weeks (months late). All will be paid cash but it's going to total about $8k.

Or perhaps I should say, we will be SUPER frugal in every other category for the entire summer?

Yppej
    Got a rebate check on my auto insurance since I switched my homeowners to the same company.

I also do not expect to have a frugal June due to home repairs, in my case replacing a third of the roof.

I'll admit I have not been terribly frugal these past couple of months but I'm trying to get back on the wagon!
    Today I redeemed $12.77 from Topcashback in Amazon $$, $5.00 in Bing rewards (also Amazon) and I completed a survey for Fitbit which will get me a $5.00 Amazon gift card. So at least my next Amazon splurge will be covered (I already had a $14. balance).

Yppej
    I budgeted $2500.00 for vacation but spent $850.00. The main reason is I did not like my hotel so after the first night returned home and did day trips.

At my last tire rotation I did not let them talk me into new tires. I will do that before winter but not now. At my 90,000 mile checkup I was not told I need them, ditto at a second tire shop.

So although vacation will put me over budget for the month I feel okay about my spending. The extra vacation money will go for a fall trip somewhere, maybe expensive NYC.

Thread Information