Thread: Anyone wear custom orthotics?

Anyone wear custom orthotics?

I've pretty much worn them since my late teens. The last time I needed them, the doc just couldn't get it right, so I began to "build" my own. I used OTC Walkfit Orthotics and added pads here and there to treat my problems (1 leg shorter than the other and no metatarsal arch, and fallen arches.

Well, In January, everything got worse. So I've seen a new podiatrist locally and she had a new pair made. However she didn't seem to think that a metatarsal arch was necessary. I wear them all day long and my feet feel pretty good in them, with only a few pains. But.....when I take them off, like to take a shower, I can hardly walk.

Just curious if any of you use custom orthotics and if you find they help alot, and do they eventually lessen the pain when you occasionally walk without them?
    My first ones were made on an island in Germany while I was working there, at age 19. Wow....they were great......made out of metal supports embedded in leather. No more pain! Wish they were made as well today. Who would have thought I'd find that on a small island in the North Sea?
    Thanks.

My Dad had fallen arches and wore the same kind as your original.

Yes. Custom made by a Podiatrist here in town. She had me stand on malleable forms and they were made perfectly. Best $300 I've spent and I believe I'm on year 6 so the annual cost is less than the cost of a good pair of shoes.

Thanks TT and Gardnr. I'm through 2 weeks now and my one heel is starting to hurt, which isn't good. I have another appointment with her next week, so we'll see if these need adjusting. I guess they're helping a little, but when I take them off, I can hardly stand to walk....and my toe bones creak. Up until now, I was used to having the docs cover my feet with stuff that would make a mold of my foot. But this time, it was all digital. People with good feet don't know how lucky they are!
    I'm supposed to wear these even when I work outdoors, but I don't. I work hard in very dirty conditions, and I would ruin them in no time. They're too expensive to ruin so soon. But I do still use some OTC supports outside.

Since having a broken foot (2 metatarsals) 10-12 years ago I have worn orthotics in my shoes. I think mine were from the Good Feet Store and cost around $200.00 all those years ago. like Gardnr said, best $200.00 I ever spent. I had instant pain relief when I first put them on and they last and last and last. Before I actually tried them, I had the feeling I could never get used to having something in my shoe, but that was not true at all. As long as they are properly fitted and are placed correctly in the shoe they are wonderful and worth every cent.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thanks SadEyedLady. I saw my podiatrist the other day, and it seems she had forgotten to have the orthotic company put in a metatarsal arch.......so she sent them back to add that. Sure made me realize that they were helping more than I thought, 'cause my feet are really missing them now, even though I'm using other OTC inlays. I can't believe how contorted my toes are. Bummer. I think I will get that compounded cream with an NSAID and gabapentin in it. I have lots of nerve pain in my toes too. Double Bummer.

Thread Information