Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating rice by hand

I rarely eat anything with my hands.

Hunh.

list of things I ate with my hands today - toast with honey, banana, roll, cherries, pita chips, cookie. The toast had a plate under it.

things I ate with pita chips - hummus

things that required utensils - milk. I skimmed the cream off of it for later with a spoon, then drank it from a glass.

mostly what i’m noticing here is that I need to eat some veggies for dinner.

@ iris lilies,

Does anybody freak out if we eat corn on the cob "with our bare hands"?

I believe forks and chop sticks are essentially extension tools for the fingers.

"Wash your fingers before you eat, and pet the dog after". Makes everybody happy.

I draw the line at noodles and ice cream sundaes.
    (Which sounds like a pretty good lunch combination, actually...)

The local authentic Indian place (dh’s visiting Indian coworkers vouch for it) serves icecream over noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    The local authentic Indian place (dh’s visiting Indian coworkers vouch for it) serves icecream over noodles.
    I'm very fond of Indian food, but that's one dish I wouldn't eat with my hands.

I hang out with the Sri Lankan folks for the Buddhist events and many of them eat a combo of rice and dal with their hands. Someone suggested I try it but I am not there yet. However I am not grossed out by it. I already drop food and am generally uncoordinated when I do anything so I can imagine between sitting on the floor to eat, often in carpeted areas, and using my hands would be quite messy.

Too gross for me.

I think in some cultures, you're supposed to only use your right hand to eat rice, etc., because the left hand is the one you use to clean yourself after using the toilet. I'm a lefty, so I know I'd struggle with the "right hand only" rule.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information