Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5% tariff against Mexico.....

If trump is stupid enough to impose tariffs and it hurts our economy he will lose the election. Families are struggling as is without any more economic hardship.

I think protectionist policies are foolish, whether coming from the left or the right. In the long run, neo-mercantilist economies pay a price for it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If trump is stupid enough to impose tariffs and it hurts our economy he will lose the election. Families are struggling as is without any more economic hardship.
    Interestingly enough, due to the effects of the proposed tariffs against the auto industry, some of Trump's base would be among the most severely impacted by needless economic hardship. I live in one of the top three states predicted to suffer the most due to these proposed tariffs of despair - but what fertile grounds to make Arizona a blue state next time around!!! Rob

I imagine there will always be certain places or people who will struggle and are victims of things out of their control, but at least in my zip code there seems to be a lot of money right now. National unemployment is at historic lows, wages are improving, and those investing in stocks or real estate have probably done well. It's a mystery to me how T could do as many dumb sounding things and still have the economy turn our so well, but the numbers say most people are doing relatively well. It is probably how he can get away with something as audacious as the recent tariffs. I think he could be bluffing.
    Last edited by Rogar; 6-6-19 at 3:07pm.

As per the Wash Post today, sounds like there are wheels in motion to avoid Mx tariffs. 6000 MX Natl Guard troops to their southern border to stem the tide. We'll see...as Trump is usually mostly bluster.

I wish I could believe you. The R people will vote for him come hell or high water because they are born and bred to be Rs. Makes me sick And many of them are well-educated and smart people!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Too cool! I just received an email from one of the Human Rights Organizations that I support informing of a huge/protest rally coming up in Tijuana this weekend - a border unity rally per Lopez Obrador's words. Apparently Lopez Obrador will be appearing there himself as part of the rally/protest. Rob

G, I hope I am right but I have read many times that the economy is the most important thing to most people.

Yppej
    If people were paying attention Julian Castro would be higher in the polls. He has a Marshall Plan for Latin America to address the root causes of the border crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If people were paying attention Julian Castro would be higher in the polls. He has a Marshall Plan for Latin America to address the root causes of the border crisis.
    that seems that may be the single most improbable proposal of any candidate running. Sure some have ambitious policy, but they focus on theoretically doable things in the U.S., and at least they are theoretically accountable to us via our vote ( all of latin america doesn't get a vote in the u.s. election).

Half the countries in latin america might want the u.s. out period, because many have experienced some form of u.s. interference before. True if you start waving money around there is no saying what government you can't buy to do your bidding, but that will just tend to look like quid pro quo. If we want money to go to this (although I very much doubt it's a voter priority) maybe they could filter it through a more neutral party like the U.N.. The U.S. hand's are just too dirty.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information