Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5% tariff against Mexico.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The 5% tariff against Mexico.....

I have held off on posting about this as I've been very upset and did not want to post until I calmed down at least somewhat. I do want to start off with one positive development that bring me a bit of hope and some surprise - much of the GOP seems to be against this series of escalating tariffs. Good to see that, and I say this with appreciation and no snark.

Now that I have calmed down somewhat I can logically ask - ? HUH? I don't get it, I really don't get how raising the prices on a wide array of consumer products without accompanying raises is going to help this country - nor will the job loss on BOTH sides of the border if these tariffs are implemented. I just don't get it but I am glad to see the Thug Of Orange And Despair being turned on by his own party. Rob

It won’t help but will only hurt.

It’s just foolish

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It’s just foolish
    Thank You for agreeing with me, bae. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It won’t help but will only hurt.
    Bingo! You nailed it, TT. Rob

Plus the average family is struggling as it is with the cost of living. Politicians are so out of touch.

All this brouhaha is yet another instance of the Republican strategy of government by shiny object. These tariffs will not go forward, or if they do it will be in some greatly attenuated form.

In the meantime, the media harps on this day and night (when they aren't fixated on Trump making an ass of himself abroad). More news cycles dominated by a non-story, while Trump and his cronies continue to line their pockets and drive their reactionary political agendas.

The current administration is a smash-and-grab operation, and the Republican party isn't a political party, it's a criminal conspiracy.

I totally agree oldhat.

Yppej
    My brother told me immigration is fueled by poverty and desperation "so let''s put in tariffs to destroy the Mexican economy and increase people's poverty and desperation, because that will solve the border crisis. Brilliant plan Trump!"

Talks continue today between the negotiating team sent up from Mexico by Lopez Obrador and Trump's administration. I am hoping but not counting on some kind of compromise that stops the tariffs from starting but it seems more and more to me that Trump wants the tariffs to take place and this negotiating on that part of the Trump administration is solely for the sake of appearance.

Not much I can do about this even as an activist, I get that, but I did send the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC an email as an US citizen apologizing for the United States and for the horrendous and hostile attitude of it's President. I further went on to thank Mexico for always being there for myself and many other Americans and I stated that I stood with Mexico regardless of my US citizenship and passport. This time the United States is going too damned far, yet once again........

Potential winner from all this needless drama? Lopez Obrador, the leftist President of Mexico. He is handling himself with such dignity and class and poise - completely unlike Donald Trump, and I believe the world is noticing. My family in Austria tells me they are proud of me for having my dental work done in Mexico - but this was not a political move on my part but entirely voting with my feet for sheer the economics of the situation, but they can think what they want. They believe I should offshore more going forward - nice idea in theory, but if Mexico is pushed far enough, what's to stop them from making it difficult for US nationals to enter their country? Something I so impressed with.....the diplomatic team that Lopez Obrador has sent up to DC? Without coming right out and saying it, apparently subtle hints have been dropped that if Mexico is pushed too far, China is there to at least partially fill the role for them that the US does. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT on the part of Mexico.....but not so great for the US.

I'm just amazed at the level of adulting I see emanating from the Mexican delegation vs. the behavior I see from the Trump Administration. Though on the one hand, I am grateful to have a full stomach and a roof overhead (and some money put away in the credit union!!!), I am very embarrassed regarding how the Trump Administration is bullying Mexico. This isn't going to end well for America if tariffs indeed are implemented against Mexico. Rob

PS I'm displaying the Mexican flag again in my yard - a show of support for the negotiating team Obrador has sent up from Mexico City. It's the least I can do after Mexico has been there for me when America has not. Find this radical? A). Be VERY grateful your economic situation allows you to find this radical as many US citizens no longer share this luxury with you, and B). I'm far from the only US national who thinks this way/has reached these conclusions, a fact that has spread far beyond my infamous zip code. Rob

Thread Information