Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The 5% tariff against Mexico.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Perhaps other states are different, but: In MA, if you are less than 300% of the poverty level, in the neighborhood of 48K of income. the monthly price for health insurance is less than $150. To me, that is affordable, I don't feel the need to fly down to Mexico for my health care. I think the usa is doing pretty well by me. I paid lots of taxes for many years, so now that I'm not working , I appreciate this reduced cost for health insurance. But it ism't free, so I suppose I'm supposed to be out protesting somewhere and dissing my country for not providing it for free?
    Do you see a glaring weakness in your post? I don't say this to be a jerk or combative, it's just that it's very obvious to me. Point being: We don't all live in Massachusetts with the deal that you describe. How'd you like to live on Texas on a low wage and no expanded Medicaid and become sick, of course in Texas minimum wage being $7,25 an hour. What other realistic options would you have in this situation other than Mexico? Rob

So, a deal was already in place long before trump started making the fake tariff threats. What a pathetic loser of a president. Hopefully 1 1/2 years from now we won’t have a child drama queen leading our country.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Hopefully 1 1/2 years from now we won’t have a child drama queen leading our country.
    Oh I hope and pray you are correct!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Oh I hope and pray you are correct!!!!!!!
    Add my name and prayers that jp1 is correct, also........Trump is just a buffoon. Rob

So, a deal was already in place long before trump started making the fake tariff threats. What a pathetic loser of a president. Hopefully 1 1/2 years from now we won’t have a child drama queen leading our country.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
    I didn't think it was possible, but it apparently is. I now think even less of Trump after reading what you have posted, jp1. And I still can't shake this horrible feeling that he will be reelected, having bashed/used Mexico to get this support base drooling and frothing and waving US flags made by exploited low-wage workers in third world countries. My take is that America very severely lacks enough common sense to elect someone else in 2020. We'll see, I have been wrong before and I'd be very grateful to be wrong here. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I didn't think it was possible, but it apparently is. I now think even less of Trump after reading what you have posted, jp1.
    Like most everything political posted on these forums, it would be better to look at the entirety of something before commenting on it lest you get the wrong idea. It's true that the US and Mexico came to an agreement in principle earlier, but that did not translate into a finalized deal. The 5% tariff that got you so excited is what sealed the deal. It's anybody's guess if it would have happened otherwise.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What exactly did he get this past week that hadn't already been agreed to by mexico previously? This looks more like a face saving effort on trump's part. He may not be particularly intelligent but he's smart enough to know that if he kills the economy he kills his chances for reelection.

What exactly did he get this past week that hadn't already been agreed to by mexico previously?
    A signed agreement.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'd be curious to know if the mexicans were showing signs of backing out from what they had previously agreed to, and if so, why. Honestly, if I were them I'd have wanted to get to a signed agreement since trump is well known for not keeping his word.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    A signed agreement.
    While I was waiting in the cashier's line at Food City this morning (Hispanic Grocery Store down the street from me) I heard two customers in front of me saying that Mexico says it never signed an agreement - that the agreement was verbal only - and I went home and looked up online claims to the same. Who knows, but what Mexico is claiming, if true, shoots your claim to smithereens. Who knows what is true and what is not true at this point? I trust Mexico more than Trump, but who knows? Rob

Thread Information