Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5% tariff against Mexico.....

Yppej
    Well it worked with Germany and Japan and they were our sworn enemies. It's better than spending money blowing up the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Well it worked with Germany and Japan and they were our sworn enemies. It's better than spending money blowing up the Middle East.
    That was after we had defeated them in war. Is Mr Castro suggesting we should take over Central and South America so that we can re-build them?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That was after we had defeated them in war. Is Mr Castro suggesting we should take over Central and South America so that we can re-build them?
    We’ve already tried that countless times, but perhaps without enough conviction to make it work. Perhaps we need to drop an H bomb on the civilians in Caracas to really get the ball rolling. That supposedly did the trick in Japan.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Good news. I just read on yahoo.com news that the tariffs against Mexico to be started on Monday have been dropped for the time being. There is still to be a big rally in Tijuana featuring an appearance by Lopez Obrador. Color me glad that the tariffs have been iced. Phew! Rob

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The Mouse That Roared is a satirical book, later a film, about a small country attacking the US so it can get help from it rebuilding. Interesting premise.

Castro is not suggesting war, but war has wracked Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, civil wars previously including ones we were involved in covertly, gang and drug wars now, the drug wars driven by our demand.They do need help. If I lived there I would probably take my family and flee. Ending the wars and bringing stability and aid is what will make people stay.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Good news. I just read on yahoo.com news that the tariffs against Mexico to be started on Monday have been dropped for the time being. There is still to be a big rally in Tijuana featuring an appearance by Lopez Obrador. Color me glad that the tariffs have been iced. Phew! Rob
    On to the next shiny object...

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    On to the next shiny object...
    No, not really. It's just that Mexico has been there for me when America has not been and I'm not one to forget such. The tariffs - though postponed and hopefully off the table for good - amount to nothing to me but brutal bullying with severe negative consequences on BOTH sides of the border. In the 85006, we would have been looking at much higher food prices in a struggling though gentrifying area with no raises to make up for these price increases. This is not a shiny object to me but is economic survival - YMMV but where I live what I just posted is a universal truth. Rob

Maybe oldhat is referring to the never-ending parade of provocative proposals Trump trots out to distract from the Mueller Report. I suppose some pointless, destructive war is next up.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Maybe oldhat is referring to the never-ending parade of provocative proposals Trump trots out to distract from the Mueller Report. I suppose some pointless, destructive war is next up.
    Actually, President Trump is pretty resistant to getting involved in foreign conflicts, seen when we look beyond headline news. Blustering and threats and etc. are just part of his game.

But speaking to the important point, the price of avocados in a tariff laden world, it was remarkable how my fellow yuppies were stymied by the thought of their easily-affordable food going up in price. Giving up guacamole would have been a sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh OK. Once again I quote the late Gilda Radner in her role on SNL as Rosanne Roseanna Danna "Never mind" - it's not all about me, I get that. Sorry that I seem to have misunderstood Oldhat. Rob

Thread Information