Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The 5% tariff against Mexico.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Actually, President Trump is pretty resistant to getting involved in foreign conflicts, seen when we look beyond headline news. Blustering and threats and etc. are just part of his game.

But speaking to the important point, the price of avocados in a tariff laden world, it was remarkable how my fellow yuppies were stymied by the thought of their easily-affordable food going up in price. Giving up guacamole would have been a sacrifice.
    Giving up guacamole? No big deal. What's really scary is the potential of Mexico making access to affordable health care difficult or impossible to access for US citizens, thereby causing US citizens deaths that are entirely the fault of the United States. That is what is hard to deal with/accept/rationalize away. Guacamole and Tecate and tequila and flat screen TVs and even more expensive cars don't hold a candle to US citizen deaths should access to affordable health care in Mexico be denied or made difficult for lower income people (say via expensive visas to enter Mexico). This is the real issue - other things being more expensive pales in comparison to this. Though I will say making Mexican produce more expensive could start internal rebellion in the many with little or nothing to lose to begin with. Rob

Rob, Mexico makes money off us and I really doubt that they would hurt themselves by limiting access for Americans. The president of Mexico is smarter than our orange moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, Mexico makes money off us and I really doubt that they would hurt themselves by limiting access for Americans. The president of Mexico is smarter than our orange moron.
    I hope you are right, TT. It does seem as if Mexico has been targeted for abuse by this Administration - though I will also say that America does have some legit grievances against Mexico, too. This street works two ways - especially if you are middle class or above. For those under that level, this is much more a one way street with America more fully to blame. (a reference mostly to US health care access).

I also agree with you about Mexico's president. I find myself very much impressed with the dignity and poise and class of Lopez Obrador and how he handled himself in this tough situation. Not a total cave and minus the bluff and bluster of The Orange Thug With No Clue Of The Consequences Of His Actions. After a series of not especially great Mexican Presidents, I'm glad Lopez Obrador was elected.....and he's very much risen in approval polls in Mexico, too - his measured and dignified approach towards this crisi seems to have earned him respect across a broad swatch of Mexican society. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Giving up guacamole? No big deal. What's really scary is the potential of Mexico making access to affordable health care difficult or impossible to access for US citizens, thereby causing US citizens deaths that are entirely the fault of the United States. That is what is hard to deal with/accept/rationalize away. Guacamole and Tecate and tequila and flat screen TVs and even more expensive cars don't hold a candle to US citizen deaths should access to affordable health care in Mexico be denied or made difficult for lower income people (say via expensive visas to enter Mexico). This is the real issue - other things being more expensive pales in comparison to this. Though I will say making Mexican produce more expensive could start internal rebellion in the many with little or nothing to lose to begin with. Rob
    Ah, glad you got an opportunity to post on your hobby horse. It must never get old for you.Glad I could be of service, keeping this thread going. I live to serve my fellow online community members.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ah, glad you got an opportunity to post on your hobby horse. It must never get old for you.Glad I could be of service, keeping this thread going. I live to serve my fellow online community members.
    Mexico good. Cops bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Mexico good. Cops bad.
    If only life were so simple. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    If only life were so simple. Rob
    Judging by the hundreds of posts you've made on the two subjects mentioned, it apparently is.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Perhaps other states are different, but: In MA, if you are less than 300% of the poverty level, in the neighborhood of 48K of income. the monthly price for health insurance is less than $150. To me, that is affordable, I don't feel the need to fly down to Mexico for my health care. I think the usa is doing pretty well by me. I paid lots of taxes for many years, so now that I'm not working , I appreciate this reduced cost for health insurance. But it ism't free, so I suppose I'm supposed to be out protesting somewhere and dissing my country for not providing it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Judging by the hundreds of posts you've made on the two subjects mentioned, it apparently is.
    Explanation: Mexico is no angel - it has numerous issues and many part of it are no longer especially safe. It is not Mexico's fault however, that it functions as a safety valve for so many Americans - this fault belongs to those at the top in America who see to it that the lions share of the wealth in this country funnels up to them, thereby forcing many to cross the border to access that which they are not worth in America. How to forgive America for this once you understand this and can see it for what it is? \

I have no idea to be honest.

About cops - there are scattered good ones, many mediocre ones, and some that just should never have been hired in the first place. The press about the police these days is mostly bad.....case in point, felony charges were recently dished out to an officer in DeKalb County, Georgia, right outside the Atlanta city limits, for brutally attacking a shoplifting suspect with a baton. Thankfully a customer in the store filmed it on smartphone video, and downloaded the video to social media, which prompted the felony charges as a save face measure (but who cares, the officer did commit a crime, what' s important is that he pays for it fully through the criminal justice system). This type of video is captured every day of police officers all around this country, Alan. Whether you can accept it or not, this is true and real and won't go away if you choose to deny this reality.

Once again, the public has had it's full and is standing up to such evil these days. Luckily, with the Noor conviction and scattered others around the US recently, this will become more common in the future - police officers facing charges for brutal beatings/murders.

Do all police officers engage in such behavior? NO - there I admitted it, NO. But enough do so that there is a daily supply of such video originating from a new confrontation(s) every day in America. That is inexcusable and is FINALLY being addressed. Way overdue, true, but better late than never. And whoever invented social media, I hope they became very well off due to the power social media gives to innocent civilians when police (frequently) break the law.

But no, this is not simple. What is lacking with both of us is that neither of us proposes anything to solve the root problem - why are LEO behaving in such ways to being with, and what can be done to address this issue? Neither of the two of us has addressed this.....all I have addressed is the fallout and civilian cash-in/civilian protections methods against the police, and you seem to have addressed denial that such is even happening to begin with, even in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary.

But no, life is not that simple. Were it only........Rob

Video's taken during confrontations rarely capture events and actions leading up to the confrontation you see. You should consider that in your evaluations and condemnations, otherwise you're just stirring a pot that perhaps would best be left to simmer.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information