Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not so tiny house

Not so tiny house

Took a tour today of a house down on the central CA coast that was a little bit larger than I think SO and I need. But I have to admit that it was impressive. I think it was the indoor swimming pool that won me over.

The current owners have kept the decorating similar to what the original owner did, which was kind of cool and gave it a really retro feel.

Front view:
    front.jpg

Living room fireplace:
    living room fireplace.jpg

Dining room:
    dining room.jpg

Indoor pool: (there was also an outdoor pool) There appeared to be some mold on the ceiling of the pool room, so I'd want to have that inspected if we make an offer.
    pool2.jpg
    pool.jpg

I wouldn’t worry about that mold problem, it is a low dollar thing to fix. Just go for it, you can afford it! You deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about that mold problem, it is a low dollar thing to fix. Just go for it, you can afford it! You deserve it!
    Right now itís not on the market. I know, i know. Everything is for sale for the right price...

But youíre probably right. If we want to have any chance with this place we probably canít put an inspection contingency.

That was fun although the dining area looked a little cramped. Imagine trying to live in such a place with annual maintenance, cleaning and dusting - makes me shiver in horror.
    What are the grounds and landscaping around such a place like? Could you keep up with it all?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

The current owners have implemented a pretty complicated but tasteful landscape design. They've done a great job with it, so it'd just be a little upkeep from time to time to keep it looking sharp. Fortunately they've left most of the 250,000 acres natural. Keeping up that much might be a bit overwhelming.

grounds.jpg

I am, though, a little concerned about water. Currently they have a private spring, but it's 25 miles away and it wasn't mentioned whether the pipeline has ever been replaced. That might be a little much work for SO and I if it ever becomes a problem. I'd better set aside a few grand to pay professionals if that ever needs work.

The other thing I was concerned about was the home theatre. The current owners have taken the retro thing overboard with that room. It would be a total gut job. The chairs looked terribly uncomfortable. They weren't leather, didn't recline, or have drinks holders or anything. And the video they used to show off the system was appalling. It looked like it was taken on a flip phone with a broken microphone. I mean, yeah, it was kind of cool that Charlie Chaplin was in the video with the original owner (apparently the original owner was kind of like the mark zuckerburg of his day), but it would've been better to hear what they were saying and get a sense of how good the surround sound system is.

Did Patty ever live there? There may be Patty/Tanya vibes or ghosts around.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Did Patty ever live there? There may be Patty/Tanya vibes or ghosts around.
    I donít think so. Willie got sick and moved to LA in the late 40ís to die a few years later and the house never got finished. In the late 50ís, a few years after he died, the family gave it to the current owners.

I think you'd need new dining chairs too. Those look uncomfortable for long 6 hour dinner parties.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information