Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job interview

More money, better bennies? Could you still in the loan forgiveness program? If so, GO!!!

BTW, in my experience, universities hardly ever pay travel for interviews. If the they do, it is only for the very very top positions.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It probably has decent dating prospects yes. I mean if there is noone to date in a city like Chicago, then maybe there isn't anywhere.

As for what is more ethical sick days or vacation, maybe vacation, but mostly I don't care. Corporations think nothing of employing people with no time-off if they want, so how much should I really care, so I can be 10 thousand times more ethical than they are? I think not. Whatever one can get away with.
    Now there’s a proud boast: “I’m less unethical, in my petty way, than others”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Now there’s a proud boast: “I’m less unethical, in my petty way, than others”.
    I find it absolutely unreal that people debate whether to take a sick or vacation day, and the ethics of that crap. Both clueless and privileged as all get go. My debates are more: go to the doctor when sick or not as I don't have time off. So people should take whatever the heck they want and go to an interview if they want to.

Actually I tend to strike people as super ethical (and I'm not trying to). But not by some BS "ethics" over the use of sick and vacation days.
    Trees don't grow on money

If we took a sick day instead of annual leave when not sick we would get a written reprimand and then no longer be trusted. Not worth it to me.

I don't have paid time off, but if I had a good interview I might take time off. and I most likely wouldn't but maybe would be punished if I took too much. who is to say, there's no rules, as there's no time off.

But i stress over time off (even a few hours) for doctor's appointments and to call a repair person. i can't wait tell this contract is over, it's feeling like a death march. so yea all these concerns seem laughable really. do what you can get away with, for me that might just be collapsing at my desk :P
    Trees don't grow on money

It’s in Chicago, so no I would not go. But that’s me, be sure and look into the cost of living in Chicago compared to where you are. My son lives in the Chicago area and everything seems to be more expensive, and if they can think of a way to tax it, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    It’s in Chicago, so no I would not go. But that’s me, be sure and look into the cost of living in Chicago compared to where you are. My son lives in the Chicago area and everything seems to be more expensive, and if they can think of a way to tax it, they will.
    My friend was telling me recently that his Chicago brother had to pay a “moving” tax. When he moved from one place in the city to another.

Madness.

Once a great city in a great state. Now, no more.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-11-19 at 10:39am.

Chicago is a vibrant city with so much to do. It’s important though to compare COL with income to make sure you are not worse off.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I find it absolutely unreal that people debate whether to take a sick or vacation day, and the ethics of that crap. Both clueless and privileged as all get go. My debates are more: go to the doctor when sick or not as I don't have time off. So people should take whatever the heck they want and go to an interview if they want to.

Actually I tend to strike people as super ethical (and I'm not trying to). But not by some BS "ethics" over the use of sick and vacation days.
    Is ethical conduct a luxury only available to the “privileged”?

Thread Information