Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job interview

Job interview

I have an in-person job interview for a university in the Chicago area. It will be a 7 hour drive and I will have to stay the night. The interview is two hours. I already did the phone interview and the video interview. They insist on an in-person too.

But they will not fund my transport or lodging.

Do you think I should do it?

The job would be a significant improvement upon my current job -- more money and better bennies.

Thoughts?

Dang it. Type. JOB! Not Jon. LOL

I fixed the title.

I don’t know if you should go or not. Throughout my career most of my interview trips were self funded, and I moved across the country a couple of times. But I did it because the work was more interesting and it was a job I wanted. Increased salary came with this job but that wasn’t primarily my reason for moving.

After all your recent adventures that you enjoyed, list all the pros and cons and see if it will make your life richer in adventures. I wouldn't worry about the travel expense for the interview, it would demonstrate to the potential employer that you are serious about the job. I expect that the employer has a government budget to limit any more.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If I decide to go, should I use two "sick days" or two "vacation days?"

When I worked for a university, I used sick days whenever I could. Vacation days accrued into a retirement fund that went with me when I retired. Sick days did not.

Yes go, and these things are self-funded. To me it is worth a chance.

I personally would take vacation, that is based on ethics for me. I would take it as sick time if I was getting a medical test or severely needing a break and it was urgent, like mental health.

I would go. You can always decline if it's offered. I did this in Phoenix when I lived in Ohio - I was going to be in Phoenix anyway for a wedding, so they waited 6 weeks to interview me.

Then they ended up offering me double my wage in Ohio, so I said yes and I've been here 9.5 years and I've never regretted it.

When I interviewed with states I had to self fund as no budget to pay for it. Some hired after a phone interview and one I had to fly in person. We weren’t allowed to use SL unless actually sick.

It probably has decent dating prospects yes. I mean if there is noone to date in a city like Chicago, then maybe there isn't anywhere.

As for what is more ethical sick days or vacation, maybe vacation, but mostly I don't care. Corporations think nothing of employing people with no time-off if they want, so how much should I really care, so I can be 10 thousand times more ethical than they are? I think not. Whatever one can get away with.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information