Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyed in the wool Midwesterner?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But it is overcast so many days there. Our rains are more productive—thunderstorms that drop lots pf precipitation, then the skies open up to sun. PNW skies are constipated with the precip, can barely push out raindrops.

Haha or at least thats how
    I see it.
    You're right; our clouds are kind of rainfall-retentive.

IL, where did you live in the West? I lived most of my life in the Midwest. I lived in upstate New York for a few years. I lived in Texas and Kansas and the conservative views prevailed and were hard to take. I have lived in Northern Nevada for 22 years and love it. Mild 4 seasons with a ton of sun. The drought doesn’t bother me but we are mindful of our water usage. That’s why we have AstroTurf. Lake Tahoe and the mountains never get old.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, where did you live in the West? I lived most of my life in the Midwest. I lived in upstate New York for a few years. I lived in Texas and Kansas and the conservative views prevailed and were hard to take. I have lived in Northern Nevada for 22 years and love it. Mild 4 seasons with a ton of sun. The drought doesn’t bother me but we are mindful of our water usage. That’s why we have AstroTurf. Lake Tahoe and the mountains never get old.
    I lived in Las Cruces New Mexico for 3+ years. Recently we took a trip back there, a driving trip, worst vacation I’ve had in ages. The endless driving through endless scrubby topography got me down. Flatlands of Dirt and Dust.

I am indifferent to mountains. We had them in Las cruces, the Organ Mountains. They were ok but did not make up for the desert. The desert is so different from what I am used to here, and I completely understand that some people find it fascinating. I get that. But that is not me.

i dare not speak my aversion to fake turf other than to say I find it horrifying. And yes,
    I see the new style stuff, two of my neighbors have it. They also have the hideous carbuncles known as “decks” plastered against their elegant Victorian houses. So yeah, some people put out things that while not deliberately trying to hurt my eyes, they do!

New Mexico is very different from here. We are high desert so plenty of trees and green. I hate naked mountains.

My family are real midwesterners, good people. I tease them a little but that is expected with family!

I am a Colorado person, through and through. From the first time we visited when I was 10 I knew that this was where I wanted to live. So I am super happy I get to live where I want.

I love the smell of a tiny sprinkle of rain on a warm day near evergreen trees. I love the way our weather freaks out newcomers. I love the way you can see clear mountain ranges almost every day from Denver. I love that in general we leave people alone in what they want to do. I love that when I go to sea level I have energy. Ahhhh,

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well for one, you live in one of these states or have a state of mind of one of these states:Attachment 2803
    Attachment does not open. Your comment tells me it's rather generic. So I'm a Northwesterner

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Attachment does not open.
    I'll open it for you.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I grew up in Alaska and love almost everything about it. But had to move to the Lower 48 for job advancement and ended up in IN for the last 40+ years. I have to say I am very glad we ended up here. It is diverse and mostly accepting without the excesses of the coasts. Cost of living is incredibly low and we will be able to retire here easily. Husband is deeply involved in his volunteer activities and this will greatly benefit his overall health.

What I do not like is the gentrification of our downtown neighborhood. I can see that in the next 10 years it will only accelerate. That said, there are a lot of nice places to move to within the interstate circle to get away from the hustle of downtown if it becomes too much.

Just had the annual Pride Parade and what a crowd came. Thousands lined the streets and yelled and screamed for all the entries. Took hours to get thru all the participants and floats and bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'll open it for you.

I just tried the attachment with no success. I have no idea what constitutes a mid-westerner. I know that a Maritimer is usually more laid back and easy going in temperament, not as aggressive in business-like manners.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Won’t open for me either. I consider Ohio to be the East. People in Kansas thought they were in the midwest and I disagree.

Thread Information