Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tired of this apartment

Well, another annoying thing happened at my apartment recently. Add this on to multiple HVAC failures, a couple of flooded kitchens/bathrooms, a leaky faucet, two locks getting stuck and locking me out, a complete internet blackout for almost a month, etc.

Yesterday I was walking the sidewalk between the buildings with my groceries. I saw a woman of small stature bend down picking up after her huge pit bull type dog.

At about 20 yards away I see the dog lock its eyes on me. I notice it has a metal choker chain on it. This dog is huge and muscular. It is bigger than the woman holding its leash.

You can guess what happens next, right?

She whispers to it: "It is okay. Sit. Sit. It is okay."

That dog don't care. It lunges at me snarling and showing its teeth, growling.
    I stop in my tracks and say: "Hey!" (in a concerned tone).

The dog lunges and snarls again. The woman cannot control it even with the choker chain. The dog literally pulls her behind it with each lunge toward me.

So I turn and sprint to the back door of my apartment building. Normally I go in the side door -- which was my intent.

After I am safely inside I see her walk with the dog the other direction, then down the street. She turns into the last building in the complex.

This vicious dog could easily maul and kill Harlan. If it had gotten loose from her, that dog would have mauled me bad too. The little dogs in the neighborhood are probably not safe. Heck! If I see this dog again I won't be safe!

There have been a couple times since this happened yesterday that I walked Harlan while carrying my aluminum softball bat for protection. Just crazy.

I reported the incident in person to the management and wrote them an email. I fully expect them to do nothing.

I warned some of my neighbors with small dogs.

Scary, and so unnecessary. Some extremely irresponsible person let that woman have that dog. I’m guessing she feels some protection with it, but even she must be concerned about the potential for huge damages.

Do they by chance require dog registration, and renters insurance there? When I was renting, I found both of those requirements to be a huge help in ensuring responsible dog ownership. More hoops for me to jump through, but better in the long run for everyone.

I have been bitten several times by dogs in my life.

In my old neighborhood pit bulls still roam around and kill other dogs and bite kids. Happens regularly. Horrible when someone's family dog is mauled to death by 2 or 3 loose pit bulls.

I am looking for and finding some short term leases -- even month-to-month deals.
    Some seem to good to be true, and they are on Craig's List. So I am dubious.

But some look legit.

I figure three months would give me a good chance at getting more job offers.

Wishing you well in your search for a new dwelling and job.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good luck with both the job and apartment search.

As for being tired of current living arrangements, I'm ready for a change as well. Unfortunately, I think I have at least 2-3 more years here. But I AM working to the time I can leave - decluttering, starting some long overdue repairs, etc. We'll see how things end up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

UL, I’m glad that you are taking action on your life to change it.

Thread Information